By: Karen Commins
As an audiobook narrator, I encourage every author to get her work into audio. However, regardless of whether you ever want to create audiobooks of your titles, these four tips from other authors aboutplanning your audiobook will make you a better writer.
1. Listen to audiobooks.
This first piece of advice surprises many writers. They may have studied the words of other authors, but they’ve never thought much about how the words actually sound.
Jason M. Hough, New York Times bestselling author ofThe Darwin Elevator, wrote a terrific blog post that outlines five reasons why writers should listen to audiobooks.
Laura Hillenbrand, the New York Times bestselling author of Seabiscuit and Unbroken, has listened to hundreds of audiobooks. According to her interview in the New York Times Magazine, Hillenbrand said her immersion in audiobooks has actually improved her writing because she hears the musicality of the language.
Stephen King thought about the sound of the words even back in 2007. In a column for Entertainment Weekly, King noted, “Audio is merciless. It exposes every bad sentence, half-baked metaphor, and lousy word choice…the spoken word is the acid test. They don’t call it storytelling for nothing.”
2. Read your work aloud.
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my latest writing and marketing tweets, here they are again:
- Seriously Write: A Most Cherished Lesson by Mischelle Creager http://ow.ly/4ngSGd
- Subtext: Creating Layered Characters | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/4ngT8e
- 4 Ways Planning Your Audiobook Can Make You a Better Writer | Digital Book World http://ow.ly/4ngTba
- Blog Image Sources That Won’t Get You Sued! | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/4ngTeV
- The 15 Most Common WordPress Mistakes to Avoid - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/4ngTlS Writing - The Write Stuff: Is High-Quality Content More Effective? : MarketingProfs Article http://ow.ly/4ngTpC
- Why Most People Fail At Writing — Medium http://ow.ly/4ngTt0
- Using Family Photos, Letters and Stories - The Book Designer http://ow.ly/4ngTz3
- Subscribers Source: An Unexpected Way To Convert Visitors Into Subscribers | Dukeo http://ow.ly/4ngTFw
- The Joy Of Going Small. Hawkesbury Upton LitFest And Why Local Writing Events Matter | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/4ngTIN
- 3 Facebook Marketing Tools Publishers and Authors Must Use | Digital Book World http://ow.ly/4ngTL4
- Writing Career Stuck? Sales Mired? How to Get Your MOJO Back! | Kristen Lamb's Blog http://ow.ly/4ngTNd
- HOW TO SURVIVE HARD KNOCKS U.: A Writer's Guide - Anne R. Allen's Blog... with Ruth Harris http://ow.ly/4ngTOM
- How to Write Scenes Your Readers Will Rave About - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/4ngTPE
- 3 Powerful Branding Lessons From Beyonce's 'Lemonade' | Inc.com http://ow.ly/4ngTWC
Post a Comment