By: C.S. Lakin
I’m going to spend some weeks on tearing apart novel structure. I’ve hesitated over the years to get into this.
Why? Because there are tons of books and blog posts that cover story structure, and a lot of great ones too, so why should I add my two cents to the mix?
Because the longer I thought about it, the more I realized I have some unique approaches and twists to the standard three-act structure. Well, let’s just say I’m not always a team player on this court.
And, as well, I want to share with you a method of building your novel’s framework that I’m playing with. I call it the 10-20-30 Scene Builder. The purpose of using a “staged” or multilevel process is to help you flesh out that basic story idea you have. And one thing I’m excited about showing you is my special way of layering subplots.
But before we go there, we have to go here.
The Problem with Formulaic Structure
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my latest writing and marketing tweets, here they are again:
- How to Write a Blockbuster Logline http://ow.ly/4njIzK
- Writers, Are You Ignoring This FREE Marketing Tool? 10 Tips for Guest Blogging - http://ow.ly/4njNCC
- Emotional Wound Entry: Growing Up In Foster Care - WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™ http://ow.ly/4njPXW
- 3 Cases of Faulty Parallel Structure of Negation http://ow.ly/4njQ3Q Daily Writing Tips
- When Writers Err Too Heavily on the Side of Drama & Conflict http://ow.ly/4njQcl
- Writing Suspenseful Fiction: Reveal Answers Slowly | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/4njQiB
- How to Make Reading Relevant to Today’s Consumer | Digital Book World http://ow.ly/4nk5cE
- 3 Ways to Not Lose Your Readers on Your First Page | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/4nk60w
- Novel Rocket: 9 Ways to Stunt Our Writing Growth http://ow.ly/4nkLTg
- Types of Conflict in Literature - Live Write Breathe http://ow.ly/4nkLWm
- Talking Heads (Top 10 Dialogue Writing Mistakes) http://ow.ly/4nkLZP
- Fiction University: Should You Cut That Character? http://ow.ly/4nkNLe
- How do you become an editor? | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/4nkNW3
- 6 Life Lessons For Writers From Mother Goose - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/4nkO1g
- Writers: Plan For A Laptop Crash | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/4nkO9X
- Content the Foundation of your Social Media Marketing - Tips and Tact… http://ow.ly/4nkOgC
FREE w/ #KindleUnlimited 5-Star time travel romance #series to start reading today! https://t.co/bKGSd9Y1Aq pic.twitter.com/yxFmAkgnhq— Katherine L. Logan (@KathyLLogan) May 3, 2016
Post a Comment