By: Martha Alderson
I write a lot about how the obstacles and antagonists your character meets in the middle of your novel, memoir, screenplay on the way to her goal often mirror the obstacles you meet in your life on your way to your goal of finishing your story.
Shadow obstacles like fear, resistance, anger, negative thinking, blame, shame, frustration, interfering and uncooperative people and situations, difficult tasks, ignorance, naiveté and conflicting beliefs represent lessons and challenges both you and your story character are expected to meet, overcome and learn from in preparation for the gift of your goal.
These obstacles and antagonists are called shadow obstacles because the meaning of their true nature is hidden, often buried and out of reach. Shadow obstacles represent the dark and repressed parts of your character and
yourself you must face and
overcome to succeed.
When you lose energy
for your story. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: 25 Gift Ideas For The Writer In Your Life http://ow.ly/VeQH
- Shadow Obstacles in Your Story & Your Life http://ow.ly/VgDEI
- Rough Draft to Final Draft: FICTION NOTES http://ow.ly/VhrBQ
- 3 Tools to Help Part Time Writers Work Smarter, Stay Focused and Track Progress — Fiction Notes http://ow.ly/VhBRL
- Write the Best Author Bio | Self-Publishing Author Advice from The Alliance of Independent Authors http://ow.ly/VhBZ3
- Building a Great First Chapter with NYT Bestselling Author Beth Revis - WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™ http://ow.ly/VhC4j
- What Not to Share - Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/VhCea
- What Neil Gaiman Does When He Doesn't Know What To Write http://ow.ly/VhCov
- Character Development: The Interaction Chart » Writeonsisters.com http://ow.ly/VhCu5
- Should you write under a pseudonym? Pros, cons and practicalities in a digital world | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/VhCzd
- Crafting a Compelling Novel Concept | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/VhCHx
- Publishing a Sequel: 8 Book Marketing Tips You Need to Know http://ow.ly/VhCRH
- Fiction University: Plot Your Novel With Mini Arcs http://ow.ly/VhCXi
Post a Comment