Copy editing is the process of revising and correcting your written material to make it the best it can be.
Copy can be about any topic and come in any form, from
manuscripts to essays to
material for a website. Regardless of the topic of a piece of text, a good copy
editor has the expertise to find and correct errors in spelling, grammar,
continuity, flow, and punctuation.
In order to understand exactly what needs to be done to improve your writing, a copy editor will ask the following questions:
1) Who is the intended audience?
The copy editor will ensure that the work is suitable for the intended readers of the text. By knowing who will read the piece, the copy editor can confirm that the writing is easy to understand.
2) What is the purpose or intended effect of the work?
Understanding the purpose of the work will enable the copy editor to ensure that the intended meaning comes across clearly and concisely.
3) Is the length appropriate for the audience and media?
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
Description Mistakes Indie Authors Make |
- Does Our Story Have Everything It Needs? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/Wg2yU
To Expect From Copy Editing |
- Fiction University: Being Trendy: Should You Write What's Hot? http://ow.ly/Wg5th
- Writers, stay true to your standards. Long night of the literary soul | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/Wg5xq
- 10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Launching Your Author Website - Web Design Relief http://ow.ly/Wg5DE
- 5 Book Promotion Tactics That Really Work! | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/Wg5L6
- 5 Reasons Images are King with Social Media Marketing http://ow.ly/Wg5RG
- Social Media Content Marketing Strategy http://ow.ly/Wg61R
- How to Create a Successful Editorial Calendar - ProBlogger http://ow.ly/Wg6j6
- How to Write an Author Bio They'll Remember - Rachelle Gardner http://ow.ly/Wg6L6
- Best Practices for Author Facebook Pages and Groups | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/Wg6TQ
- #87: How to Build a Dream Team with Melanie Duncan - Amy Porterfield http://ow.ly/Wg7bo
- Successful Self-Publishing Advice From A Pro | Kobo Writing Life http://ow.ly/Wg7lT
- How to Spot a Rights Grab - The Book Designer http://ow.ly/Wg7ti
- Improve Your Self-Published Book's Discoverability on Amazon | http://ow.ly/Wg7EW