By: Jody Hedlund
I admit. I always have a hard time figuring out my openings.
Even with the manuscript I’m currently working on, I labored long and hard to figure out the best spot to start my story. In fact, I’ve struggled to pick the perfect opener with each book I’ve written. And even after all my agonizing, I still don’t always nail my openings.
Finding the right opening isn’t anything writers should leave to chance. Sometimes the first page, even the first paragraph, is all the time readers will give us.
If we don’t grip readers with our story from the start, they’re likely to move on to something that will grab them. This is especially true in the online age with the ease of previewing the first chapter before making a commitment to buy a book.
I almost always read the first couple of paragraphs online before deciding to buy a book. I figure if the first page doesn’t capture my attention, then the rest of the book probably won’t either. Maybe that’s not true. But that’s the way most of us operate.
Yes, the struggle to find the perfect opening is normal for writers. Dare I go so far as to say if we’re not struggling with our openings, then we’re likely not giving it enough effort?
So what can we do to help us in our quest to craft a gripping first scene? Here are three things to consider:
1. Find a life-changing DISTURBANCE.
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Author, Jody Hedlund: The Critical Importance of Crafting a Strong Opening http://ow.ly/WdTkG
Choices: Crafting Better Plots http://ow.ly/WdTZ3 vs
- A Must-Read for Storytellers: Save the Cat | Writing Forward http://ow.ly/WdU6B
- Fiction University: Indie Publishing Paths: What’s Your Pricing Plan? Part One http://ow.ly/WdXpC
Five Ways to Answer the Worst Question Ever - DIY MFA
DIY MFA http://ow.ly/WdXBW :
- 30 Books And Counting. Lindsay Buroker On Being A Full-Time Author | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/WdXJr
- What to do When You Need to Rewrite Your Rewrite http://ow.ly/WdXQt
Intriguing Short Stories |
Blog http://ow.ly/WdY3t BookBaby
- From first draft to book launch – how to publish a novel http://ow.ly/WdXZX
- The 2016 Social Media Image Size Cheat Sheet | Red Website Design Blog http://ow.ly/WdYkU
- Guest Blogging Checklist: How to Use Others to Expand Your Blog Reach | Red Website Design Blog http://ow.ly/WdYtj
- Creative Work is Performance. Assess Your Creative Health Now. http://ow.ly/WdYQy
- How to Record Interviews: The Renegade Writer’s Ultimate Guide http://ow.ly/WdZ56
: Vlog: On Dealing with Rejection http://ow.ly/WdZ9V Writability