By: Connie J.
Some work is written so starkly it may as well be a
. This tells me that
author X has really taken to heart the much-bandied, phone-book of no adverbs and adjectives, ever. amateurish
That concept is flawed.
It is true that when we carve away unneeded modifiers, we move from telling the story to showing it, which is the goal of every author. But the key here is the word ‘unneeded.’
Some modification of your verbs and nouns is necessary, or you have a ‘Dick and Jane” novel.
See Jane. See Jane run.
Even if the concept for the plot has some merit, a stark, completely bare-bones approach won’t make it worth reading. The idea behind the novel might intrigue me, and I could be curious as to where the author is going with the idea. But despite being curious, if I don’t enjoy reading the narrative I won’t finish it.
We all know fluffed-up prose (A.K.A. ‘
’ prose) is daunting and hides the
action, purple let a knee-jerk reaction to a bad beta-read by an armchair critic make you go the route of
completely eliminating modifiers and descriptors. A well-written
narrative is sparing with descriptors and modifiers, this is true—but modifiers
and descriptors do exist within every good narrative and are
there for a reason. butdon’t
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- ELF-e And The World’s Authors: Is English Our Lingua Franca? | Thought Catalog http://ow.ly/WiNAq
- What’s My Motivation? Why Writers Need to Motivate All of Their Characters | Drew Chial http://ow.ly/WiNC3
descriptive prose | Life in the Realm of Fantasy http://ow.ly/WiNKn lean but
- Working With a Freelance Editor—Part 2, the Process — Wordy Bird Studio http://ow.ly/WiO2D
- Finding a Narrator on ACX | Self-Published Authors Helping Other Authors http://ow.ly/WiO9i
Married in the Morning* | Confessions of a Mystery Novelist... http://ow.ly/WiOaK ’m Getting
- Blogging with Facebook “Notes” to Improve Visibility | Indies Unlimited http://ow.ly/WiOcg
- The Ebook Retail Universe - The Book Designer http://ow.ly/WiOew
- Why Mysteries Matter | http://ow.ly/WiOfN
- Vow of silence: how much do you talk about your novel in progress? | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/WiOhi
- Worksheets for Writers | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/WiOxO