By: Melissa Donovan
always seem like there are too many writing ideas or not enough.
When you don’t have time to write, ideas come hurtling out of nowhere. Sometimes they come so fast, you can’t even write them all down. But when you sit down, stretch your fingers, and lean over your keyboard to start typing, nothing happens. Where did all those ideas go?
Chances are, you’re not really out of ideas; you’re just not in the mood to write. Sometimes, that’s okay. Take a break and do something else. Give yourself a day off. But other times, you need to dig your heels in, make those ideas flow, and get busy writing.
Where to Find Story Writing Ideas
Luckily, ideas for writing a story are all around you. As long as you can force yourself to get focused, you should easily be able to overcome a bout of writer’s block.
1. Start with a character. Don’t worry about the story yet. Make a character sketch. Don’t think about whether the character is a hero, a villain, or some secondary character. Start with the character’s name, age, and occupation. Then describe the character’s personality, beliefs, and backstory. See if a story emerges.
2. Turn to your favorite fiction.
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Official Google Blog: Introducing the new Google+ http://ow.ly/UWcIm
- Where to Find Ideas for Writing a Story | Writing Forward http://ow.ly/UWd07
- Is It Safe: When to Tell People About What You’re Writing | Drew Chial http://ow.ly/UWePC
You Promote a Book without Making
YourselfMiserable? | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/UWeUQ
- Fiction University: Getting What's in Your Head into the Story http://ow.ly/UWkjA
aren’t movies – how to write
great descriptionin prose | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/UWlLO
- Short Story Checklist: Techniques for Getting Short Stories Published - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/UWnzr
- The Google Play Controversy & The Opportunity Of FREE | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/UWnIT
- How To Build A Perfect Blog Post | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/UWqtk
- I worked in a video store for 25 years. Here’s what I learned as my industry died. | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/UWqFK
- Writing: Description, Details, and Delivering Information | The World Remains Mysterious http://ow.ly/UWGv0
- Fiction University: Revealing a Character's Past Without Falling Into Backstory http://ow.ly/UWGww
- 15 Authors Running Fantastic Book Promotions on Instagram http://ow.ly/UWGTr
- Writing style: It's part of author Gary Henry - THE WRITTEN WORD http://ow.ly/UWH72