By: Joe Bunting
I’ve been teaching and coaching writers for four years through the Write Practice. I did the math recently and realized that in the last twelve months, we’ve helped over 2.5 million people become better writers.
As a writer and ghostwriter of four books myself, I’ve learned that there are a few common lies that writers tell themselves.
Here are the four lies too many writers believe:
1. “I’ll write a book some day.”
If not now, when?
Most people say things like, “I want to write a book,” or even, “I’m working on a book.” I’ve said the same things. But how many people actually write one?
What if you never finish your books? What if you die with your books still trapped inside of you? And here’s a terrifying thought: Most people do die with their books unwritten. This happens all the time. Will you be one of them?
You have a chance to write your book. Isn’t it time you do it?
Writing a book is hard, but if you create a plan and stick with it, you will finish.
(Of course, sticking with it is really the hardest part. But that’s where a community comes in. More on that in a moment, though.)
2. “You can’t make any money as a writer.”
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Blots & Plots:How to Storyboard Your Novel on Pinterest - Blots & Plots http://ow.ly/UY7Qi
- The Power of Narrative Writing | Writing Forward http://ow.ly/UY9gK
- Resources for Television Writers - WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™ http://ow.ly/UYL4F
- Publishing a Sequel: 8 Book Marketing Tips You Need to Know http://ow.ly/UYLut
- Author, Jody Hedlund: How to Learn Fiction-Writing Techniques With Less Pain & Frustration http://ow.ly/UYLEJ
- 4 Lies Writers Believe http://ow.ly/UYM55
- Fiction University: Real Life Diagnostics: Would This Prologue Make You Read On? http://ow.ly/UYNUS
- Book Cover Quiz-with Takeaway - Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/UYPzV
- Almost Everything You Need to Know about ISBNs | Indies Unlimited http://ow.ly/UYQVd
- Four Easy Things You Can Do If You Don’t Want to Market You Book http://ow.ly/UYRhY
- Busting 6 Strong Female Character Stereotypes (What I Learned Writing Storming) - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/UYRoB
- How to Create and Grow Your Influence on a Global Social Web http://ow.ly/UZ740