By: Jennifer Blanchard
I’ve been a professional writer for more than a decade, and a couple weeks ago I celebrated my three year “Quitiversary” (the day I quit my day job to take my business full-time). So lately I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting back and thinking about the steps I took to get where I am today.
Since I know you dream of being a published author and having a writing career, I thought it would be useful for you to see what it takes.
So here are the 7 things I did to become the published author and writing coach that I am today:
1. Practice, Practice, Practice
Can’t stress this one enough. You have to write. All the time. As much as you can. Over and over again, write.
Write. Toss it. Start again.
The more you write, the better you’ll get at writing. And practicing helps you find your voice as a writer.
2. Never Stop Learning
There’s always more to learn when it comes to writing a novel. There’s always a way you can dig deeper into a topic and discover things you didn’t know (or clarify things you’ve heard before).
As a professional writer, you have to be committed to growth. And growth comes from learning and practicing.
3. Get Support
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
Round-Up: Text to Speech in Reading Apps on Android ⋆ Ink, Bits, & Pixels http://ow.ly/LdwM6
- Writer Unboxed » Take Five with Catherine McKenzie: Hidden http://ow.ly/LdwPD
- What You Need to Know About Crowdfunded Publishing | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/LdwRl
- 50 Things to Tweet About: Tip #49 of 52 Ways to Market Your Book - Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/LdwSP
- Finding Book Reviews « FundsforWriters http://ow.ly/LdwVU
- SELF-e: Connecting Indie Authors with Libraries | Indies Unlimited http://ow.ly/LdxbY
- Sources of Public Domain Lyrics http://ow.ly/Ldxn2
- A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: Ebooks for Libraries http://ow.ly/LdxSj
- KDP is for Chumps | Hugh Howey http://ow.ly/LdxKN
- 30 High-Impact Ways to Level Up Your Writing : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/LdxXp
- Jennifer Blanchard | The Professional Writer Puzzle: 7 Pieces You Need To Be Successful http://ow.ly/Ldy7Y
- You think writing’s a dream job? It’s more like a horror film | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/Ldy9s
- How to Become a Writer as a Second Career http://ow.ly/LdyaP
- Writing More Diverse Characters-The TCI | motivation for moving beyond your writing habits http://ow.ly/LdydQ
beMissing about "50 Shades of Grey" - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/Ldyfg
- Five Myths About Self-Publishing - Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/Ldygs
- WOW! Women On Writing Blog: Guest Blog to Grow Your Platform http://ow.ly/LdyiP
vsthe Author - Meg Wolfe http://ow.ly/Ldyll
- Back Cover Copy | Nessgraphica Blog http://ow.ly/Ldyp7
- Paperback Writer: Write Habits http://ow.ly/LdyrO
bookcover image? Genre, quality count, but beware clones | Chris Kridler | Sky Diary Productions http://ow.ly/LdytX
- Six Reasons Why Some Books Will Never Be Bestsellers | Self-Publishing Review http://ow.ly/Ldyvl
Post a Comment