By: K.M. Weiland
What the heck is the Inciting Event? That’s a question just about any writer can answer. The trouble is that sometimes we all have a different answer.
- Is the Inciting Event the first thing that happens in the story?
- Is it the moment that kicks off the plot and the conflict?
- Is it the First Plot Point at the end of the First Act?
- Is it something in between?
- Is it something that happens before the story ever starts?
The chief trouble with identifying the Inciting Event is that the term is used rather wildly to apply to just about any of the above. One writer calls the Hook the Inciting Event, another calls it the First Plot Point.
Argh! No wonder
we’re all so confused.
The confusion has grabbed me in its claws as well. In Structuring Your Novel, I wrote the following about the Inciting Event:
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Blogging from A to Z April Challenge: Challenge Tip – How to Make Friends! Plus the Challenge Theme Reveal is Today http://ow.ly/KTdWy
what if my writing sucks? |
Now NovelNowNovel http://ow.ly/KTe26
- Connect With Readers–Without Breaking the (Time) Bank | Cheryl Reif Writes http://ow.ly/KTekF
Dark Side of Being a
Bestseller| WritersDigest.com http://ow.ly/KTey7 Writability: Writing Tip: CPs vs. Betas http://ow.ly/KTeEv
- Art Holcomb on Rewriting Your Novel or Screenplay - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/KV7j5
- The Writing Café, I'm writing a story with a love triangle and I was... http://ow.ly/KVgHs
- How “Strong Female Characters” Still End Up Weak And Powerless (Or, “Do They Pass The Action Figure Test?”) http://ow.ly/KVgUC
- Book Making: Don't be a copycat when you title your book http://ow.ly/KVhmi
- Your Book’s Inciting Event: It’s Not What You Think It Is - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/KVht6
- Writers On The Move: 6 Tips for Creating Healthy Writing Habits http://ow.ly/KVhFg
- 5 Minutes to Your Next Blog Post Idea (+ Worksheet) http://ow.ly/KVhLt
- Making your own promo booklets | Jessa Slade http://ow.ly/KVri1
- Introducing Layout from Instagram - Instagram Blog http://ow.ly/KVF9o
- Introducing On This Day: A New Way to Look Back at Photos and Memories on Facebook | Facebook Newsroom http://ow.ly/KVFcv
- Quick Book Marketing Tips for Fiction and Nonfiction Authors — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/KVFfx
- 11 Writing Tips That Will Change Your Life http://ow.ly/KVFhd
- A Reverse To-Do List - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/KVFiH
- Fiction University: Day Twenty-Eight: Revise Any Misused Words and Awkward Phrasing http://ow.ly/KVFjC
- Writer Unboxed » It Turns Out, All You Need to do is Write a Great Book http://ow.ly/KVFlt
- Karen Woodward: Part 2: NEED - The Protagonist WANTS Something http://ow.ly/KVFoe
things authors should consider concerning
unlikeablecharacters | Creative Writing with the Crimson League http://ow.ly/KVFpZ
- Four Keys To Developing A Strong Protagonist - ScreenCraft http://ow.ly/KVFrx
- Own Your Influences | Drew Chial http://ow.ly/KVFsu
Author Entrepreneur: Increase Your Revenue | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/KVFv0