By: Janice Hardy, @Janice_Hardy
There was a time when prologues were all the rage. You'd show a snippet
up before your story actually started to entice the reader to read on. It was
almost a requirement in fantasy, where the prologue was almost always a bit of
history or a legend or even a scene with a major god doing whatever it was that
had come back to bite everyone. of
Not so much anymore.
So, how do you know if you should keep or kill your prologue?
Ask yourself why you're putting it in.
1. It's an important piece of the protagonist's history that the reader needs to know to get the story.
Keep or Kill? Chances
can kill the prologue. The reader won't know the
character yet, so the important event will have little meaning, and it won't
drive the story since it happened in the past. In most cases, you can
background this information and drop hints, show the effects of it on the
protagonist to build suspense, and reveal it later for much more impact. are you
2. It's an important piece of world history that sets up why things are this way and how that's going to affect your protagonist.
Keep or Kill?
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Q&A: Creating Tension in Your Story - Michael Hauge's Story Mastery http://ow.ly/IWF12
- How to Build a Following On Triberr | Triberr Blog http://ow.ly/IWX6k
- What Makes a Good Badass? | Fantasy-Faction http://ow.ly/IXPRC
» The Why & How of Foreshadowing http://ow.ly/IXQ0a Mythcreants
- Is “Love Conquers All” Realistic? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/IYsA9
- What not to say to authors (and what to say instead) | AUTHOR ALLSORTS http://ow.ly/J0GdW
- Fiction University: Pondering the Prologue: Keep it or Kill it? http://ow.ly/J0GrG
» Five Ways to Make Your Character Stand Out http://ow.ly/J0JbD Mythcreants
- The Definition and Criteria of Concept | Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/J0K6t
- 36 Tried-and-True Ways to Promote Your Blog Posts [Infographic] http://ow.ly/J0Mko
- Want Your LinkedIn Profile to Stand Out? Don't Include These 10 Overused Words http://ow.ly/J0MAK
- Twitter for Business: What Smart Marketers Are Doing With Twitter | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/J0MJ5
- My Recent Visit to Barnes & Noble or Why I Don’t Go to the Bookstore Very Often | Sagittarius Dolly http://ow.ly/J0N9H
modern authors should consider writing
of novels | Advice for Authors Who Self-Publish http://ow.ly/J0Nwf series
- Writer Beware®: The Blog: Who's Running Your Writers' Group? Why You Should Be Careful http://ow.ly/J0NIO
- Ethical Author | Advice for Authors Who Self-Publish http://ow.ly/J0NUd
- Why Authors Should Pay Attention to Gravity - Nelson Literary Agency http://ow.ly/J0OHS
- Will the New Kindle Unlimited Expansion Cause Another Dip in Author Payments? ⋆ Ink, Bits, & Pixels http://ow.ly/J0PC7
- How to decide who inherits your Facebook account http://ow.ly/J0TJf
- Scott Abel Tells Why Content Strategy Matters for Content Marketing http://ow.ly/J0Vh0
- Seth's Blog: Is Google making the web stupid? http://ow.ly/J0W5r
- 7 Tools To Help You Write a Novel (+ a free ebook) http://ow.ly/J0Wha
- 4 Ways Besides Query Letters You Can Contact Literary Agents | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/J0Xdv
- 13 Great Tools to Analyze and Measure Your Social Media Results by Frances Caballo — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/J0Xoz
- Overwhelmed As An Author? How To Work With Virtual Assistants With Chris Ducker | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/J0YY0
- 5 Ways To Engage Your Audience During A Presentation http://ow.ly/J0ZpM