By: James Scott Bell
Without readers a writer has no career.
There are other reasons people write, of course. For therapy. For fun. For their family. Out of boredom. In prison.
But most writers write to share their stories with the hope of some financial return.
When asked what kind of writing made the most money, Elmore Leonard replied, “Ransom notes.”
Outside of that particular genre, professional writers swim in the free enterprise system, which usually involves two parties: seller and buyer.
The writer is the seller, the reader is the buyer. The product is a book. Or a story.
And in order for this exchange to work, the buyer must like the product.
In order for this exchange to become a lucrative career, the buyer must love the product.
Which brings me to the 5 Laws of the Fiction Reader:
1. The reader wants to be transported into a dream
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Love Your Reader, Love Your Art, Love Yourself A Guest Post By A. E. Snow | http://ow.ly/J3eRU
- Phone fiction spells the end of the professional novelist | Books | The Guardian http://ow.ly/J3eWY
- Glass ceiling hinders women in the trade | The Bookseller http://ow.ly/J3fL0
- Killer Intrigue: The Art of Finishing a Chapter | Write It Sideways http://ow.ly/J3fW3
Authorpreneurship| The Economist http://ow.ly/J3mjc "To succeed these days, authors must be more businesslike than ever"
- Fantastic TED talk on the mysteries of storytelling. http://t.co/rblF2GngJz
- A Quick Lesson About Publishers, Imprints, CreateSpace, and Bowker — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/J3mtm
- Why Indie Author Ethics are a Two-Way Street | Advice for Authors Who Self-Publish http://ow.ly/J3mzW
- The Comprehensive Guide to Dating a Book Nerd | Blog | Epic Reads http://ow.ly/J3n99
- The Writer's Life: Coming Up with the Idea for Your Novel - Killer Nashville Magazine http://ow.ly/J3omA
- Love Your Reader, Love Your Art, Love Yourself A Guest Post By A. E. Snow | http://ow.ly/J3oLJ
- 8 Query Tips No One Tells Writers | Carly Watters, Literary Agent http://ow.ly/J3oRH
- Podcast - Social Media Just for Writers http://ow.ly/J3oXe
- Rethinking Social Media Success | ClickZ http://ow.ly/J3p20
- How to Manage Multiple Social Media Accounts http://ow.ly/J3p8v
- Craft the Perfect Posts for the "Big 3" Social Networks http://ow.ly/J3q7Q
- A Blogged Book Has to Be Greater than the Sum of Its Posts http://ow.ly/J3qfr
- 8 Writing Techniques to Win You a Pulitzer | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/J3qxp