By: Jemi Fraser
Last month, my post talked about 5 Tips to Trim Your Writing. This month, I'm tackling the opposite. With my current rewrite, I attempted to plot (kaboom!) and ended up with a shorter story than I expected (15k shorter).
So, now I'm focusing on how to flesh out a story without padding it. Some of the things I've discovered:
Fleshing it Out Tip #1 -- Emotions
This one I'm having a blast with. I write contemporary romance, so it's all about the emotion, but I think that's true for most stories. It's the emotions that pull me in and make me gobble up those pages, no matter what the genre is.
Delving into the character's emotions helps the reader connect and makes the writing much more interesting. For me, plot is obviously important, but it's how the characters respond to the plot that intrigues me. So, show that!
Fleshing it Out Tip #2 -- Show, Don't Tell
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- From the Write Angle: 5 Tips for Fleshing it Out http://ow.ly/E3dY7
- How to Stick to a Writing Schedule http://ow.ly/E3ehQ
- 5 Small Publishers Who Are Changing the Face of the Industry – Flavorwire http://ow.ly/E3eyd
- Finding Your Beginning in “The End”: Dreaming of Writing a Perfect Opening | KayeDacus.com http://ow.ly/E3JKa
- Writer Unboxed » On Not Giving Up http://ow.ly/E3JSM
- A Perfectionist's Guide to Crappy First Drafts - Jeni Chappelle http://ow.ly/E3K5e
- Succeed At Writing: How to Write a Short Story http://ow.ly/E3KcF
- How to Improve Your Social Media Holiday Campaigns | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/E3Kih
- Analytics for Content Marketers and Bloggers: What Do You Need to Track? : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/E3KFN
- Three things all novelists need (according to Haruki Murakami) http://ow.ly/E3KLW
- Copyright: How to Protect Your Blogs and Blogged Books http://ow.ly/E3KVU
- Where Are You At? The Three “Acts” of a Writer’s Journey—From Newbie to Master | http://ow.ly/E3L3q
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: Is Talent Overrated? 8 Things that are More Important than Talent for Writing Success http://ow.ly/E3LJR
- Resources for Writers: SHORT IS THE NEW LONG - article by Anne R. Allen http://ow.ly/E3Mb2
- The Pros and Cons of Switching Genres — Guest: Summerita Rhayne | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/E3N16
- 33 Twitter Tips, in 140 characters or less - #infographic #socialmedia | Digital Information World http://ow.ly/E3N7Z
- 7 Tips for Making the Most of Your Book Series (Part 2 – Troubleshooting) – Kobo Writing Life http://ow.ly/E3NCU
- Catherine, Caffeinated | Writer, astronaut, skinny – Catherine Ryan Howard wouldn't mind being any of those things. http://ow.ly/E3O7v
- Day 4: 5 Interesting Ways To Market Your Book (That You Might Not Have Considered Before!) http://ow.ly/E3P50
- Writability: How to Build an Online Platform: Blogging http://ow.ly/E3QbK
- Have the Major Publishers Decided They Can’t Match the Success of an Indie Blockbuster? | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/E3QxH
- Teaching Young Writers: Are We Winning the Battle but Losing the War? | Beyond The Margins http://ow.ly/E3QnQ