When you send an email, shoot off a press release, or phone the media in pursuit of getting coverage for your book or story, do you have a compelling opening statement, one that draws them in and shouts “read me, listen to me”? If not, start over until you do, because if you can’t capture their interest in the first 100 words or 15-second introduction you will have lost an opportunity.
Will your opening use any of the following tools?
- Startling Fact
- An Announcement
- A Promise
- A Plea For Help
- A Demand For Change/Action
- An Offer or Gift
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets on Friday, here they are again:
- A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: Ebook Sales Down? Here Are 15 Tips! http://ow.ly/CUP2u
- AuthorCulture: Writer's Resource List http://ow.ly/CUPiN
- Top Ten Writing Tips #5: Story Trumps Craft | KayeDacus.com http://ow.ly/CUPqW
- Janet Reid, Literary Agent: Question: 5 Key Things to know about personalizing your query http://ow.ly/CUPBI
- Momentum: Keep the Writing Coming http://ow.ly/CUPLu
- Objective Story throughline plot http://ow.ly/CUPYB
- 6 Steps To Overcoming Social Media Writer’s Block, Part 2 | Digital Book World http://ow.ly/CUQ8q
- Fiction University: 8 Marketing Don'ts: Get Real or Get Lost! http://ow.ly/CUQlZ
- Reference For Writers, Your Character's Speech (and their accents) http://ow.ly/CUQt8
- Facebook News Feed: How to Respond to Facebook Changes | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/CUQBw
- Market In Ways That Work For You – Kobo Writing Life http://ow.ly/CUQIY
- A glossary of book components (and where each one should go) http://ow.ly/CUQPR
- ‘It’s Over. We Can Coexist Now': Hugh Howey Calls A Ceasefire | Thought Catalog http://ow.ly/CURh9
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: How To Get Attention For Your Book Immediately http://ow.ly/CURpI
- Fun Fact Friday | Chronicles of Cammy http://ow.ly/CVK3W Many kinds of animals tend to live in groups. Check these out!
- Fiction University: Query First? The Query as a Plotting Tool http://t.co/dN5QQjxpwJ
- How To Organize Your Non-fiction Book http://ow.ly/CWLIQ
- Indie authors take note: Amazon is, among other things, a machine designed to optimize product prices... http://ow.ly/CWLtG
- TV Shows and Movies Inspiring Reading - Books & Such Literary Management : Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/CWLNB
- 3 Reasons Why You Read Those Ridiculous Lists on the Internet http://ow.ly/CWLTa
- 10 Ways to Refuel Your Creativity http://ow.ly/CWLXL
- The Book Designer — Practical Advice to Help Self-Publishers Build Better Books http://ow.ly/CWM11