By: K.M. Weiland
What’s up with story concept and story premise? Are they interchangeable words for the same idea–or are they separate tools with their own important jobs to fulfill?
I know you guys picked Door #2–’cause you’re wicked smart like that. But it’s a fact: “story concept” and “story premise” are often used interchangeably, which just goes to highlight the rampant confusion about them. So what’s the diff? And why does it matter? Storyfixer Larry Brooks said it as concisely as anybody in his free PDF Deadly Faux’s Inner Life:
A story about what it was like to be on the Titanic on the night of its sinking… that is NOT a premise. It is a concept only.
Let’s take a closer look at how to tell the difference.
What Is a Story Concept?
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- The Craft of Outlining by Kiki Sullivan http://ow.ly/CZ6T7
- Question: I'm re-agenting. Isn't my manuscript more appealing for having been loved previously? http://ow.ly/CZ6Ugv
- How to publish ebooks – the beginner’s ultimate guide | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/CZ6Xv
- 9 Do's and Don'ts of Typography http://ow.ly/CZ70D
- If you only write once in a while, should you change? | David Rasch PhD http://ow.ly/CZ724
- Talents and Skills Thesaurus Entry: Blending In - WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS http://ow.ly/CZ73J
- From Sarah, With Joy: Top 7 Mistakes That Make Your Writing Look Unprofessional http://ow.ly/CZ7vk
- Launching Multiple Books at Once: Pros & Cons | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/CZ7Ae
- Team-Produced Stories: An Author Perspective | Digital Book World http://ow.ly/CZ7Hn
- What Does A Copy Editor Do? | Christopher Fowler http://ow.ly/CZ7IL
- The Creative Penn Blog: Helping you write, publish and market your book | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/CZ7Nk
- Dreams vs. Goals: What if my Writing Goals Change? What if I Fail? | KayeDacus.com http://ow.ly/CZ7Qz
- How to Leap into Writing and Publishing Your Book http://ow.ly/CZ7Vy
- Why Self-Published Books Don’t Sell - How to Make Sure Yours DOES http://ow.ly/CZ7Zg
- TV Shows and Movies Inspiring Reading - Books & Such Literary Management : Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/CZ82h
- Fiction University: How Soon Do We Need to Show Genre in Our Novels? http://ow.ly/CZsyd
- Past, Present and Future of Blogging: 3 Infographics - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/CZKQ6
- 10 Ways to Refuel Your Creativity http://ow.ly/CZKTf
- How to Target Your Readership - Social Media Just for Writers http://ow.ly/CZKWi
- Give Your Book Away for Free? - Write Hacked http://ow.ly/CZLej
- Top Ten Google+ Communities for Writers | Savvy Writers & e-Books online http://ow.ly/CZLh0
- Social Media Rules for Authors - Marketing Tips For Authors http://ow.ly/CZLpJ
- How to Blog Like A Pro with Rebekah Radice http://ow.ly/CZLtA
- How to Get Traffic to Your Author Website: 30+ Tips for Discouraged Writers | Your Writer Platform http://ow.ly/CZLwO
- A Viral Recipe for Your Blog - The 4th Ingredient Will Blow Your Mind - Author Media http://ow.ly/CZLAL
- 10 Quick and Easy Ways to Test, Publish and Sell Your Book http://ow.ly/CZLDm
- Story Concept and Story Premise: Do You Know the Crucial Difference? - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/CZLG8