B: Roz Morris
Do you learn your storytelling from movies as much as from prose? Many of us do. While certain principles can be learned well from both media, others can’t.
I’ve already discussed a few points in previous posts – scenes with a lot of characters, short, choppy scenes and point of view and dialogue. Today I’m going to look at description.
Description in prose aims to give the reader an experience. It fills in the specifics. Description in scripts or screenplays – and novels by writers who don’t read a lot of prose – is often labels or generics. Let me show you what I mean.
Objects: The writer who is more tuned to movies might describe ‘1970s furniture’, or ‘a battered car’. But a great description in prose will talk about the chair shaped like a giant egg, the Toyota with a mismatched door and an unlevel fender.
People: . . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- 10 Easy Ways to Work Stretching Into Your Daily Routine http://ow.ly/CQC0S
- At Frankfurt Book Fair: Phoning up a book | The Bookseller http://ow.ly/CQC94
- The Kill Zone: POV 102 - How to Avoid Head-Hopping http://ow.ly/CQCcF
- Add an Element of Mystery to Every Genre - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/CQKhp
- Why Don’t Publishers Fact Check Memoirs More Closely? - Publishing Perspectives http://ow.ly/CQKvs
- Fiction University: NaNoWriMo Prep: Planning Your Novel’s Ending http://ow.ly/CQKBs
- Novels aren’t movies – how to write great description in prose | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/CQKNJ
- Karen Woodward: What’s The Difference Between Mysteries And Thrillers? http://ow.ly/CQZtf
- NaNo Prep: Are You Ready to Start Drafting? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/CR02h
- Analyzing a Mid-List Series (keys to success and room for improvement) | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/CR9mn
- Why You Shouldn't Put your Book on Amazon Pre-Order http://ow.ly/CT1eB
- 9 Steps to Compelling Contagious Content for Your Social Media Marketing http://ow.ly/CT1Zv
- How to Use Visual Marketing to Sell Books http://ow.ly/CT27H
- How to Sell to Libraries– Top 10 Strategies for Independent Authors and Publishers - Marketing Tips For Authors http://ow.ly/CT2n0
- Your Blog as Part of an Overarching Business Strategy : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/CT2C0
- ThrillWriting: Bullet Tutorial for Writers http://ow.ly/CT2HY