By: Jami Gold
Each time we complete a first draft, we probably celebrate or post a status on social media. Yay!
After that, we might want to dig into the story right away because we’re still excited and passionate about the premise. But many writers say they do a better job revising and editing if they first do something to gain “distance” from their story.
For many of us, ensuring our readers’ impressions match our intentions is one of the hardest aspects of writing. *raises hand* Distance helps us see our story objectively so we can revise ruthlessly, not clinging to our intentions but seeing our story’s potential.
What Is Distance and How Can We Get It?
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: The Secret to Publishing Success in the Era of Social Media: Teaming with Your Fellow Authors http://ow.ly/ByaKz
- Heard it From a Friend Who Heard it From a Friend Who… | Confessions of a Mystery Novelist... http://ow.ly/Bybam
- Mythic Words: 5 Ways to Get Book Reviews http://ow.ly/Bybd5
- How to Write a Horror Story http://ow.ly/BybgM
- You Need to Ask this Question Every Time You Sit Down to Write http://ow.ly/Bybjq
- Amazon Displaying Segmented User Ratings http://ow.ly/Bybq9
- 5 Book Pet Peeves - BOOK RIOT http://ow.ly/Bybuk
- 6 Great Apps to Help You Write http://ow.ly/BybzB
- Camera as Narrator - The Script Lab http://ow.ly/BybJv
- Writers: Helpful Hashtags on Twitter | Crime Fiction Author Sue Coletta http://ow.ly/BybQQ
- Writability: Manuscript Wish List (MSWL): A Hugely Valuable Resource for Writers http://ow.ly/Byc3N
- So, Are You Working On Your Novel? Or Tweeting About Your Novel? : All Tech Considered : NPR http://ow.ly/ByckN
- Writers: How To Let Go Of The Pressure To Be Perfect - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/Bycoo
- Word of Mouth - An Urban Myth? | Indies Unlimited http://ow.ly/Bycrp
- Insecure Writer's Support Group: Is Self-Publishing for You? http://ow.ly/BycDR
- Mythcreants » Six Problems With Realistic Space Battles http://ow.ly/BycI8
- Fiction University: How to Find Your Character’s Breaking Point http://ow.ly/BycJI
- It’s Raining Deadlines — Jim C. Hines http://ow.ly/BycMn
- Why Do Women Read More Novels Than Men? - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/BycOU
- AuthorCulture: How to Be an Author Book Bloggers Will Love http://ow.ly/BycRZ
- The Value of “Pantsing" - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/BycWL
- Writability: Stop Overthinking and Just Write http://ow.ly/BycYL
- When I Don't Want To Write | AndiLit.com http://ow.ly/Byd25
- A Quick and Dirty eBook with Calibre | Indies Unlimited http://ow.ly/Byd5f
- My formula for a kickass Amazon book blurb | Badass Marketing http://ow.ly/Byd8b
- Too Close? 5 Techniques to See Our Story Objectively | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/Bzxjf
Post a Comment