By: Janice Hardy
Theme is an often misunderstood and underused aspect of a novel. Years of English classes have made us think that theme is something reserved for literary novels or stories with deep, meaningful messages, not for commercial fiction and good old fashioned stories.
Theme is a highly useful part of any novel, be it a light-hearted romp or a nail-biting adventure. It’s an element that gives greater meaning to the story and turns background fluff into substance. Basically, it gives a story street cred.
That’s because theme can tie individual pieces of a story together so they work on multiple levels. Descriptive details resonate with a character’s mood, or a plot point becomes a mirror to a internal struggle. Theme makes everything in the story matter.
Unsure what your theme is? Ask yourself…
What larger concepts do you want to explore with your novel?
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Why Indie Authors Need A Team | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/vWFkd
- Do You Know Your Novel’s Theme? | Writers In The Storm Blog http://ow.ly/vWFly
- JILL CORCORAN BOOKS: You query an agent based on their #MSWL (Manuscript Wish List) and you get a rejection-- http://ow.ly/vVg5b
- RT @elizabethscraig: Resources for finding an agent: http://ow.ly/vDtXW
- 39 Synonyms for Run - Writers Write http://ow.ly/vVgAG
- Writability: 5 Dual-POV Writing Tips http://ow.ly/vVgFY
- An easy way to make your plot plausible – control your novel’s timeline | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/vVgPM
- How Book Advances Work – A Simple Explanation for Writers | WritersDigest.com http://ow.ly/vVhwj
- LinkedIn Publishing Platform: What Marketers Need to Know | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/vViqD
- 9 Crucial Tips for Self-Editing Your Blog Posts (That Every Blogger Can Use) : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/vVizo
- Writer Unboxed » Flog a Pro: would you turn this bestselling author’s first page? http://ow.ly/vViYz
- The Yellow Brick Path to Your Purpose | Life by Heart http://ow.ly/vVKjm @spicytraveler