By: Anne R. Allen
A lot of bookish blogs have posted predictions for 2014. But I'm only making one prediction for the new year: writers will need to start thinking globally.
Growth of ebook sales in the US and UK has slowed, but the markets abroad are growing fast.
Eoin Purcell wrote in the Irish Times last week: "Ebooks outside of the US continue to grow – markets such as Ireland, France, Spain and Germany are only now beginning to see the growth that the UK & US markets experienced two and three years ago."
Publishing Perspectives says that Russia now is the third biggest ebook market, and a Price Waterhouse Cooper study predicts that by 2017, 54% of e-book sales will be overseas.
Gareth Cuddy at Digital Book World said this week, "There was a real opening up of new markets in 2013. This is evident in the fact our publishers sold into a third more countries in
2013 than 2012."
This is especially important information for indie writers. As Dean Wesley Smith said in his recap of 2013 publishing trends:
"During 2013, indie publishing in many, many ways, both paper and electronic, spread out over the world. Now your indie books get a much wider reach than any traditional publisher can manage, which not too many people have talked about yet, but will in 2014."
Zoom. The book business is changing by the minute.
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: Go Global in 2014: How to Get Your Books into the Global Marketplace http://ow.ly/svCFO
- The Kill Zone: Crafting an effective opening http://ow.ly/svEdZ
- Top 7 Mistakes Authors Make Online http://ow.ly/svEtE Are you targeting the wrong audience?
- How Writing a Book Proposal Can Boost Your Sales | Florida Writers Conference Blog http://ow.ly/svEzw
- 7 Ways To Name Your Characters http://ow.ly/svEE2 Give characters’ names the same consideration you would other parts of your writing
- Author Alert: Resolving the Amazon Keyword Issue | Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/svEMQ
- Do you find your genre, or does it find you? - Venture Galleries http://ow.ly/svEQM
- Character Motivaton Sheet http://ow.ly/svEUk Achieve perfection and a whole lot more!
- How Authors Can Reach Readers in the Age of the Algorithm | Self-Publishing Advice http://ow.ly/svF3A
- Become a Power Pinterest User: Quick and Simple Tips! | Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/svFt8
- 9 Words and Phrases to Delete From Your Writing | Wise Ink's Blog for Indie Authors about Self-Publishing http://ow.ly/svFfs
- Branding 101 For Writers | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/svFA3 "You want your readers to identify your work as quickly as possible."
- Scientists find secret to writing a best-selling novel - Telegraph http://ow.ly/svHcT
- Why you should always 'Like' your own Facebook posts http://ow.ly/svKPk\