By: Jodi Meadows
It’s no secret that I am a huge fan of science fiction. I love the sense of wonder and anything-is-possible feeling it offers, not to mention all the opportunities to explore universal themes in a new way. Lots of people love science fiction movies and TV shows. I mean, is there anyone who doesn’t know about Kirk and Spock, or Han, Luke, and Leia?
But hand a science fiction book to someone and the story might be different. Science fiction is too hard. It’s too weird. A lot of people are afraid of the possibility of pages and pages of scientific exposition.
With that in mind, writers, I have some tips about science in science fiction. In list form:
1. Treat it like any other kind of worldbuilding.
I think the SCIENCE!!! of it all intimidates a lot of writers, but unless you’re writing hard science fiction, there’s probably not a lot of need for much in the way of exposition. As with all worldbuilding, character, and story, you will likely know a lot more than will ever make it onto the page. And that’s okay. Add what is necessary for the story.
How do to that? Here’s a sub list:
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- The Secret to Writing the Dreaded Synopsis...and its Little Friends: the Hook, Logline, and Pitch http://ow.ly/szf3l
- Query Letters: What Agents Love And Loathe | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/szfdU
- RT @LiveWriteThrive: Learn how to write great plots! http://t.co/6L27DS9qS2
- Science in Science Fiction http://ow.ly/szg8k Find out how to treat it like any other kind of worldbuilding.
- 6 Essential Twitter Tools to Find and Connect With Influencers: @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/szgIy
- Social Media Marketing Tips for 2014 http://ow.ly/szgY1 How to use Facebook and other social media sites for better marketing.
- Rachelle Gardner | Literary Agent http://ow.ly/szhrq "...run away from the noise, hunker down and wrestle mightily with your prose."
- How to Convert a Hangout on Air to a Podcast | Jimmie Lanley http://ow.ly/szi6Z
- Social Media And Klout Aces To Follow In 2014 | Susan Gilbert http://ow.ly/szisO
- The Missing Element In Your Website's Sales Page | Susan Gilbert http://ow.ly/sziMH
- How to Use Breaking News to Buzz Your Book - Eight Strategies http://ow.ly/szj1D
- Promoting Your Self-Published Book - A Three Part Launch Strategy http://ow.ly/szj6m
- Tell Me When: Real-Life Stalking Isn’t Sexy | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/szjkd
- Digital publishing: the experts' view of what's next | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/szp3H
- 7 Tips To Avoid A Content Quality #FAIL - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/szqZZ