Please welcome Liz Ferro to Tabor Lane. Liz is an author, runner, and founder of the non-profit Girls with Sole.
Liz and I will get a chance to meet in April when we run the 2014 Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon and Half-Marathon. She’s running the full. I’m running the half, and she’ll probably finish before me!
“Out on the run course, just as in life,
you can’t worry about what has been”.
I'm reprinting a review of her book that includes a bit of personal history and information about the non-profit she founded, Girls with Sole.
“I've read a few running books, informative, narrative, philosophical and autobiographical but none quite like Finish Line Feeling ~ the life story of a determined woman, Liz Ferro, who has risen above “what happened to her” in childhood, to eventually find her calling in founding the non-profit program Girls with Sole.
“I will be honest with you, Liz’s childhood experiences describe a heart-wrenching reality, putting a voice to the trauma of so many victims that have suffered abuse. Finish Line Feeling follows her lifetime of recovery and is a shockingly honest, sometimes loud, sometimes sad, and sometimes hilarious emotional journey.
“Through all her adventures, and misadventures as a young adult, athletics kept Liz grounded, focused, and gave her a belief in herself that no-one could take away. She has completed 23 marathons, is a five times Ironman and dedicated runner, mother and wife, throughout her life she “used the strength gained from training to become empowered and to feel stronger emotionally”. This strength she has harnessed and transformed into the program Girls With Sole, which now successfully works with over 400 girls to help them discover the empowerment and achievement that can be derived from athletics.
“A ‘real’ athletes story, Finish Line Feeling left a lasting impression on me, one that I will never forget. The fact that running and triathlon has propelled Liz to rise, and achieve so greatly, is a tribute to our sport and to her amazing spirit.”
“I am not what has happened to me – I am what I choose to become” Carl Gustav Jung
I hope you'll check out Liz's book and also find out how you can support Girls with Sole.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- “Every scene should advance the story” | Go Into The Story http://ow.ly/saAjD
- The Other Side of the Story: Pace Yourself! Some Thoughts, Various and Sundry, on Pacing Your Novel http://ow.ly/saCF1
- The Wide Margin: Tell the Cat to Beat It! - Script Magazine http://ow.ly/saCVR
- Brain function 'boosted for days after reading a novel' | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/saD7C
- Questions for Critique Partners - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/saI1k
- 7 Huge Tech Trends to Expect in 2014 http://ow.ly/saIks
- Using Music To Promote Your Book » Book Promotion . com http://ow.ly/saIsw
- 2014 Writing Progress Spreadsheet | Jamie Raintree http://ow.ly/saILE
- Researching Character Emotions | Jamie Raintree http://ow.ly/saJ0K
- Five Digital Publishing Predictions for 2014 - The Digital Reader http://ow.ly/saJ6D
- Books Vs. Films: INFOGRAPHIC - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/saLyB
- The Big Marketing Hatchet Man | Advanced Fiction Writing http://ow.ly/saM41 Marketing means: Attraction, engagement & conversion
- Coping with Pain through Writing - Women Writers, Women Books http://ow.ly/saMoB
- The Key To Growing Readership: Your 'Writer's Voice' | Bestseller Labs http://ow.ly/saMzG
- Kash In with Kindle - Webinar with Kristen Eckstein http://ow.ly/saMUM
- 3 Dialogue Terms You Probably Didn’t Know (but Should!) http://ow.ly/sbhu0
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn: 2013 Social Media Demographics [STUDY] - AllTwitter http://ow.ly/sbjag
- Tips for Writing in Short Blocks of Time | Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/sbllN
- Goal Setting 2014: The One Book Marketing Secret That Will Change Your Life | Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/sblsh
- Write With Fey: Chrys’ Writing Rules: Don’t Start Sentences With These Words! http://ow.ly/sblzh
- Writability: Pirating Books: It’s Not a Harmless Download http://ow.ly/sblDb
- 2014 Reboot: Finally Finding Time to Blog : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/sbmbl
- Drive Traffic To Your Website And Keep It! | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/sbmtl
- 8 WordPress Blog Cleanup Tips http://ow.ly/sbmw6 @Hotblogtips
Happy writing and running, Kathy