By: K.M. Weiland
Here’s a question you’d think would have no solid answer: How many characters should your story have? Every story is different. Some are multi-generational epics that need a cast of hundreds (or thousands if you’re like G.R.R. Martin and keep killing everybody off). Others may need only a handful of actors (Robinson Crusoe). Surely, there’s no rule that applies to everystory.
But, as it turns out, there is. Or, at least, sort of.
What it all comes down to is types of character. Last week, we spoke aboutfundamental character archetypes, but what we’re talking about now digs down even deeper to reach the foundation of the personal forces that make a story work.
The Only Three Characters Your Story Needs
Plot revolves around conflict—which then informs theme. That, right there, is the essence of story. To create that little equation most stories are going to require three different types of character.
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing and marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Henry Miller’s 11 Rules For Writing - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/s8XyG
- A Very Merry Christmas at Amazon http://ow.ly/s8XQa
- Writer Unboxed » The Overwhelmed Writer’s Two-Step Checklist For Staying Connected to Readers http://ow.ly/s8YzC
- Compel, Impel, and Propel http://ow.ly/s8YIz #amwriting #writetip
- The Write Type - Multi-Author Musings: Taking Stock of 2013 http://ow.ly/s8YSj #writetip #amwriting
- Janet Reid, Literary Agent: Question: series rights http://ow.ly/s8Z69
- Julie Musil: Cover Design 101: Interview with Cover Artist J. Allen Fielder http://ow.ly/s8ZcT
- The Promotional Power of Book Samples » Book Promotion . com http://ow.ly/s8Zk6
- How Many Characters Should You Include in Your Story? - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/s8ZoT
- 2013 Marketing Highlights: Social Media, Content & Mobile - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/s8ZJ8 7 Key Marketing Events of 2013
- How to Use Twitter Ads for More Exposure, Leads and Sales | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/s90cj
- How to Get Ahead During the Holiday Season | Goins, Writer http://ow.ly/s923J
- The New Year's Writing Resolution You Can Actually Keep - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/s92gs
- 2014 Reboot: Get Ready for the New Year With a Blog Overhaul : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/s92rQ
- Karen Woodward: 12 Archetypes http://ow.ly/s92HG #amwriting #writetip
- Good Grammar Round-Up http://ow.ly/s92YH #amwriting #writetip
- Top Ten Book Recommendation Platforms | Digital Book World http://ow.ly/s962V
- Why You’re Not Selling Your eBooks – 3 Problems to Overcome http://ow.ly/sa7PE