By Rachel Scheller via Writer’s Digest
Using emotion to create strong, emotional characters and move a plot is critical for any writer in any type of genre. Knowing what kind of emotion to use and how to use it is a different matter, however. And while our fictional characters experience the same wide range of emotions that we do, frustration is often the over-arching element that drives a plot and creates motivation.
In an excerpt from Write Great Fiction: Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress, the author shows different ways a character might act when frustrated in a certain situation. Using these examples, and the exercises below, you can create frustrated characters that advance your story at a steady pace while also drawing the reader into a realistic setting.
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Creating Emotional Frustration in Your Characters: http://t.co/x7BYhyH32A @WritersDigest RT @elizabethscraig
- Measure The Spread Of Your Tweets Over The World With “Where Does My Tweet Go?” http://ow.ly/kxVU0
- Marketing Tips 4 Authors: What is 'Social Media Jail'? http://t.co/baEFTVqkWC via @CliveEaton
- Killing Off a Character: http://t.co/XzBL1pcpJa @LJSellers RT @elizabethscraig
- Why Ask Why? Because Your Readers Will http://t.co/teKrx0Lktb RT @janice_hardy
- No, E-book Sales Are Not Declining http://t.co/jJDlaWccSl via @NathanBransford
- Critiques Make Your Writing Better, So Grin and Bear Them http://ow.ly/ky1j9
- How to Write Romance Well http://ow.ly/ky1qE via @Ava_Jae
- Notes From Tabor Lane: Today's Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/kyPD5
- Answers to Questions About Apostrophes http://ow.ly/kyVbx via Daily Writing Tips
- How to fake discipline: four easy-ish tips http://ow.ly/kyXP0 via @MGranovsky
- 8 Ways To Channel The Power Of Your Unconscious Into Your Writing: http://t.co/2RqmtbMTVt @woodwardkaren RT @elizabethscraig
- Do You Know These Time Saving Blogging Tips - http://ow.ly/kyUH3 @ProBlogger
- Self-Published Titles Dominate Top of Ebook Best-Sellers List http://ow.ly/kz0h0
- 8-Step Plan for Landing Book Promotion Endorsements http://ow.ly/kzbX2
- Juicing Emotion http://ow.ly/kzcos via Kitlit
- From 101 Creative Writing Exercises: You’re the Expert http://ow.ly/kzcYE via @melissadonovan
- How LinkedIn Groups can Explode your Blog Traffic - http://ow.ly/ksten @problogger
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.