By: Nate Philbrick
So you’re writing a scene in your novel and you really want this moment to get your reader’s heart hammering. Here are eight practical strategies to help you can achieve that.
Raise the stakes for that particular scene
The higher and more immediate the stakes are, the more tension readers feel. Put your characters in situations where they have to make a hard decision or perform a hard action right away, and make it clear that if they fail, something disastrous will happen as a consequence.
Focus on action and dialogue
Action and dialogue are the two main vehicles of tension. Minimize description, thought-processes, exposition, etc. as much as possible.
Shorten your sentences
Short sentences convey tension more than long ones because they quicken the pace of the scene. Long sentences force the reader to slow down, so cut, cut, cut.
Eliminate subject nouns and pronouns
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my latest writing and marketing tweets, here they are again:
- Writing Tense Scenes | You Write Fiction http://ow.ly/XmWdt
- A New App Turns Your Romance Novel Fantasy Into Reality http://ow.ly/XmYcD
- Multiple Characters: Who's Most Important? | The Art of Stories http://ow.ly/XmYhj
- 5 Lessons in First Person POV | Sacha Black http://ow.ly/XmYkv
- Operation Awesome: Guest Post: Small Press/Big Press Pros and Cons by Lawrence M. Schoen http://ow.ly/XmYoV
- A History of Punctuation for the Internet Age - The New Yorker http://ow.ly/XmYrU
- How to Use Either, Neither, Or, and Nor Correctly http://ow.ly/XmYvj
- WOW! Women On Writing Blog: 4 Major Mistakes to Avoid When Writing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/XmYz9
- Anatomy of an Effective Book Trailer « http://ow.ly/XmYDQ
- Fiction University: 5 Tips for Plotting a Mystery http://ow.ly/XmYIT
- Writer Dilemma: Private Life vs. Public Figures | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/XmYXt
- What’s An RSS Feed & How Do I Find It? | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/XmZ7e
- 5 Tools Everyone on Twitter Should Be Using - Peg Fitzpatrick http://ow.ly/XmZgh
- Why Twitter Doesn't Work with Sarcasm, Chap. 823 | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/XmZlx
Post a Comment