By: Kathy Perow
Molly Greene has asked me to write a post from a reader’s point of view, with an eye to self-published authors in particular. I’ve become a huge fan of authors brave enough and confident enough to strike out on their own, without the advantages (or the frustrations) of traditional publishing. I’ll try to answer a few of her questions:
- What makes me decide to download a book: Cover?
blurb? Reviews? BookBub
- What makes me pass on completing a book? Typos, slow beginnings, characters who do not resonate?
- What will I disregard if other elements are in place to keep me reading?
Tools and filters
I read a lot. Really a lot: I start 30-40 books a month, but probably finish only 25-30. When I lived in a large house I collected books the way a miser collects gold, and couldn’t imagine a room without them.
Things have changed. I now live in a small apartment and my hoarding is limited to my Nook, my Kindle and my tablet. Those are my reading tools, and I can’t imagine how I ever got along without them. When I read a real cover-and-paper book now I keep trying to swipe the page to go to the next. I was a
though, convinced I would never be able to
read without a physical book. Wrong! I got my first e-reader in 2011 and
haven’t looked back. hold-out
I took out a subscription to Kindle Unlimited in July, 2014, pretty much when it started up.
has been my
favorite filter for just about as long. I know for a lot of new users,
including me, the sheer volume of books available BookBub KU can be daunting without
a starting point, and BookBub provides that. on
Choosing a book
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing and marketing tweets and retweets Monday and Tuesday, here they are again:
- What Story Offers | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/Rhhln
- After The Hype And Drama: Balancing Trad And Indie Interests | Thought Catalog http://ow.ly/Rjjrt
- Revision Techniques - Janet S. Fox http://ow.ly/Rjjxp
- Train Travel and The 1904 World's Fair http://ow.ly/RjjGm
- How to Look Good on Your Webcam - Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/RjjYv
- How to Tell a Story: Script Writing vs. Novel Writing - The Whisper Project http://ow.ly/Rjk8f
- Got a Pen Name? You’re in Great Company – Now Here’s How to Market Your Books by Frances Caballo — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/RjkHI
- Writers as Project Managers - WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™ http://ow.ly/RjkN3
- What Makes A Reader Download & Finish Your Book? | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/RjlaT
- 100 Writing Practice Lessons & Exercises http://ow.ly/RjmGV
- The Cost of Self Publishing? http://ow.ly/RjmTC You're focusing on the wrong thing.
- Keep Your Book Marketing as Creative as Your Writing http://ow.ly/Rjnvn
- Call Me Unpredictable* | Confessions of a Mystery Novelist... http://ow.ly/RjnIk
- Insecure Writer's Support Group: 8 Steps to Visiting Your Novel's Setting Without Leaving Home http://ow.ly/RjnTe
- Five Books Featuring Unreliable Narrators | Tor.com http://ow.ly/Rjo9O
sleep is a golden time for creativity – Karen Emslie – Aeon http://ow.ly/Rjoyb Why broken
- Self-Editing for Continuity - Author J.S. Morin http://ow.ly/RjoJa
- CJ Lyons: 6 tips to sell your book - The Writer http://ow.ly/Rjp0B
- Author, Jody Hedlund: When You Feel Like the Worst Writer in the World http://ow.ly/RkTBD
- The Importance of Psychological Development in Character Growth - WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™ http://ow.ly/RlTA9
- Business Musings: What Traditional Publishing Says It Does Best | Kristine Kathryn Rusch http://ow.ly/RlXog
Tips: How to Create a 5,000-View SlideShare in 10 Minutes http://ow.ly/RlZvt SlideShare
- Six Ways To Think Like a Publicist and Sell More Books! - Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/Rm04e
- Do Writers Really Need to Know Theory? http://ow.ly/Rm0b2
- With booksellers' pressure: DRM is now soft in Germany | The Bookseller http://ow.ly/Rm0Mb
Points To Consider When Crafting An Awkward Character – Anne Goodwin Debut
| Sacha Black http://ow.ly/Rm0Qq Novellist
- The Writing Realm http://ow.ly/Rm2TM "What to Do When You Don’t Know What to do With Your Story..."
- What to Do When You Feel Left Out, Unlucky, or Ignored http://ow.ly/Rm3d7
- How to Write a Bio That Will Turbocharge Your Guest Posts | Write to Done http://ow.ly/Rm3lp
- Monday Mailbag: ISBN, Book Design, Copyright and More — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/Rm3qv
- How Outlining Can Bring Out Voice | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/Rm3C9
- Protagonist and Main Character— Same Person? The Answer May Transform Your Story! - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/Rm4Nc
- Tangents and Subplots: When Do They Work? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/RmDd2