By: Sue Coletta
WHILE EDITING, I find myself consumed with sentence rhythm, matching the character’s inner emotion to the words on the page. Not only by choosing the correct word, but also by concentrating on the way sentences are constructed.
Perhaps sentence rhythm excites me because I’m an auditory writer. I’ve always noticed
rhythmic beats while reading, the way some authors can captivate me by how they
place words on a page. I’m not talking about a writer’s voice, though that
also plays a part. No, this is something else, something magical, a certain je
né sais quoi. It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I
discovered this mysterious attraction had a name …sentence rhythm.
For some reason there’s not a lot out there about sentence rhythm. Why, I have no idea. Because by assigning it a label we can look at a paragraph, or an entire scene, that’s not working and have another tool to use to fix it.
To give you a better understanding of what I’m talking about, let’s talk music for a minute.
When you hear a love song your breathing relaxes, your pulse rate slows,
ease with the flow of the music, your body begins to sway …back and forth …the
sweet sounds lulling you into tranquility.
A fast beat makes you want to jump up and dance, fling out your hands, belt out the song.
It’s the same for writing.
. . .
To read the rest of this post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Five Simple Ways To Describe Characters - Writers Write http://ow.ly/QNZIe
- Literary Agent Maria Ribas Explains How to Use Platform to Sell Your Books http://ow.ly/QNZMA
- Writing Emotional Scenes | Writer Kris Noel http://ow.ly/QNZQ3 "Put yourself in the place of your character..."
- Why Beta Readers Can Revolutionize Your Writing http://ow.ly/QNZUX
- What is the difference between Act One midpoint and Act One end? | Go Into The Story http://ow.ly/QO1wg
- Your Fiction Plotting Essentials’ Checklist http://ow.ly/QO1AH
- Prologues | Writing the Words http://ow.ly/QO2nG
- 500 Great Words for Writing Love Scenes | Bryn Donovan http://ow.ly/QO2ub
- Finding the rhythmic beat to your writing. - Venture Galleries http://ow.ly/QO5sK
- More Misspelled and Misused Foreign Phrases - Write Divas http://ow.ly/QO5Le
- 6 Ways to Build Your Readership Without Social Media http://ow.ly/QO5Ub
- Write With Confidence: The Mental Games We Play http://ow.ly/QO6u1
- Got a Pen Name? You’re in Great Company – Now Here’s How to Market Your Books by Frances Caballo — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/QO6y7
- 21 Ways to Improve Your Facebook Ads With Ad Targeting Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/QO6UA
- Agent Mollie Glick | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/QO7a7 On writing, publishing, submissions...
- Learn How NOT to Waste Your Story Setting’s Full Potential - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/QO7rg
pantserspath to the perfect story | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/QOMlt
- How To Turn A Good Manuscript Into A Great Manuscript http://ow.ly/QPV4g