By: Toby Neal
Box sets are a thing with the weather warming and people loading up on beach reads. I have been asked to put my books in a boxed set numerous times and declined for various reasons, but I finally decided to try it, putting my romantic suspense standalone Stolen In Paradise in a set of ten novels we called Passion and Danger.
Things to consider when deciding to put your book in a box set with other authors:
Have a clear goal
Having a target objective is an important part of deciding to join a box set, so consider
yours. The objective of our group was to get onto one of the big
bestseller lists—USA Today, etc. I had never gone after this before, choosing
instead to focus my sales efforts on Amazon, so this goal appealed to me as a
milestone to achieve. Other common goals include raising money for a cause (we
did that too, also appealing) exposing your work to readers who wouldn’t
otherwise find it, building relationships/ sharing readerships, and just plain
sales when there might have been few.
Have a solid group leader
In our situation, Kim Hornsby recruited us to the project and was an unflagging source of enthusiasm, promotion ideas, cheerleading, and putting out a ton of advertising money and effort herself, thus motivating us.
Have a healthy budget to meet your aim
We each contributed a small amount for advertising, and seriously underestimated the cost of the blitz of PR necessary to break onto the big lists. We weren’t able to achieve our goal, at least in part for lack of funding and a ton of competition in the same genre. Live and learn!
Share responsibilities, have equal participation, and spell this out in advance
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Q&A: Naming Your Characters - Michael Hauge's Story Mastery http://ow.ly/Oi1iU
- In a Rush to Publish? Better Ways to Shave Off Time - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/Oi43p
to Tell if Your Idea for an eBook or Course Is a Profitable One
- Authors: Should You Join A Box Set? | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/Oi4iF
- The Writing Desk: Setting Up Amazon Author pages http://ow.ly/Oi4o8
- Gatekeepers for Indie Publishing | Hugh Howey http://ow.ly/Oi4FR
discovered by the right readers –
BookBabyblog http://ow.ly/Oi60O Writability: How to Beat a Writing Block (Without Writing) http://ow.ly/Oi63R
- Why Broken Links are Bad and How to Fix Them! - Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/Oj8p9
- Why All Authors May Have a "Hybrid" Future: Veteran Children's Author Kristiana Gregory Goes Indie http://ow.ly/Oj8qT
- Email Newsletters for Authors: Get Started Guide | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/Oj8vv