By: James Scott Bell
Ebook samples are a great way to hook readers and get them interested in your story. But how can you make sure your first chapter entices readers enough to buy your book? One method is to create an “opening disturbance.” James Scott Bell, a bestselling thriller author and author of Write Great Fiction – Plot & Structure agreed to share his tips on using this method to hook readers early.
One of the great online boons
to book lovers is the ability to view a sample of a
book before purchasing it. On Amazon, users can download the first ten percent
of a book for free or read it onsite via the “Look Inside” feature. As an
author, this gives you the opportunity to score a sale if you make the reader
want to read on.
So what should these opening pages do? You’ve no doubt heard it expressed like this:
- Hook the reader.
- Grab the reader.
- Entice the reader.
- Get the reader to turn the page.
Nothing wrong with those terms, but the real question is: How do you make this happen?
Step 1: Create a disturbance
Use an opening disturbance in the first paragraph. A disturbance is anything that is different in the character’s “ordinary world.” This can be a portent, change, shift, challenge, trouble, danger, or another character.
. . .
Read the full article HERE
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Marketing Lessons From Pinterest Promoted Pins - Brand Quarterly http://ow.ly/OaGTs
- Cut From Fiction What Doesn't Fit | The Editor's Blog http://ow.ly/OaNUI
- Three Questions With Russ Cox: Advice For Young Writers and Illustrators http://ow.ly/OaO0H
AuthorCulture: Let's Talk Dialogue http://ow.ly/OaOfY
- How to Find a Literary Agent for Your Book | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/OaOW5
- Wendy Paine Miller ~ thoughts that move: 7 Things That Will Destroy You as a Writer http://ow.ly/OaQjs
- Fiction University: How Much Do You Understand About Your Writing Process? http://ow.ly/OaQqf
ways scheduling will make you a better blogger
LinkedIn Marketing Tips From the
Experts SocialMedia Examiner http://ow.ly/OaQZT
- Wannabe Author to the Real Thing in 5 Steps by Judith Briles — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/OaRzV
- “Let's talk about genre”: Neil Gaiman and Kazuo Ishiguro in conversation | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/OaRFV
- Romance Writers: New Scrivener Template! | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/OaRQW
- The Roses of Prose: No Way Around It: It Is Time For A Change by Margo Hoornstra http://ow.ly/OaSwF
- How to Get Readers Hooked from Your Ebook Sample http://ow.ly/OaZ26
- LinkedIn: An Under-Utilized but Critical Author Resource - Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/ObiH8
your book's story with metadata –
- My Experience Working with Amazon Publishing | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/Obj1t