By: Jody Hedlund, @JodyHedlund
I received an email from a blog reader, Anna, asking for help with figuring out the framework of her story. She was struggling with how to handle diary entries (whether to use flashbacks or make them chronological), who to make the protagonist (mother, daughter, or both), which POV's to use (1st person for one and 3rd for another or something different), and a host of other questions.
As I thought about Anna's struggle, I realized that one of the most helpful tools for organizing any story is the 3 Act Structure which has been used in
I. Act 1: Big Set Up
- The character lives in her ordinary world, in the status quo, with limited awareness.
- The character has a call to adventure, the inciting incident, which is a situation that forces the character to see the world in a different way.
- The character has inner debates and
r ultimately commits to the new goal. eluctance but
II. Act 2: Middle Confrontation
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- How to Improve Your Amazon Book Description & Metadata | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/MWoWt
- The Writing Bug: Dialogue Dos http://ow.ly/MWp8J
- How to Write in Deep POV + get inside the mind of your character | She's Novel http://ow.ly/MWphh
- QueryTracker Blog: The 5 Essential Steps to Getting a Literary Agent (Guest Post) http://ow.ly/MWpu4
- First Pages that Shine - Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/MWpz0
- 6 Stylistic Techniques in YA Novels | Writers' Rumpus http://ow.ly/MWpFG
- Book Proposals - Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/MWpMX
- How To Craft A One-Page Synopsis Using Story Beats | Crime Fiction Writer Sue Coletta http://ow.ly/MWpT2
- The Essential 10: The First Page | YAtopia http://ow.ly/MWpXH
- QueryTracker Blog: Query Lessons Learned the Hard Way http://ow.ly/MWq0I
- Fiction University: I've Revised My Novel. Now What? http://ow.ly/MWq7r
- Art Holcomb on Rewriting Your Novel or Screenplay - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/MWqWc
- Music For Writers: Brad Lubman — An ‘Explosion Of Compositional Languages’ | Thought Catalog http://ow.ly/MWr0U
- Balancing Industry and Promo Research and Writing - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/MWrb3
- Author, Jody Hedlund: 3 Act Structure: How Building a Framework Helps Organize a Story http://ow.ly/MWrwl
- How to Create a Social Media Marketing Plan Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/MWrEF
- Fiction University: Study the Pros: Map Your Favorite Novel http://ow.ly/MWrOv
- ARE YOU MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR GIVEAWAYS? « http://ow.ly/MWrTe
- Should You Write Third Person Omniscient? | A Writer's Path http://ow.ly/MWscL
- Stroppy Author's guide to publishing: "I've been looking at your website..." http://ow.ly/MWspM
- Rhythm and Time - Part 1: Give Your Writing a Beat of Its Own | Fantasy-Faction http://ow.ly/MWsue
- How to Write Scenes in Novels and Short Stories http://ow.ly/MWsDB
- Is digital-first best for authors? | The Bookseller http://ow.ly/MWsI2
Post a Comment