By: Melissa Donovan
If there’s one piece of writing advice that took me years to truly understand, it’s write what you know.
When I first heard this instruction, I thought it was odd. I don’t remember where I first heard it, but I do remember thinking that as far as writing tips went, it was absurd.
What about writing from your imagination or your feelings? How do genres like science fiction and fantasy fit into the idea that you should only write what you know?
It all seemed rather limiting. Was I supposed to write about American suburbia? That’s what I knew, and it was the last thing I wanted to write about.
One of the reasons memoir doesn’t appeal to me as a writer is because I don’t want to write what I know. I don’t want to relive my life. I want to use writing to live outside of my life, to explore what I don’t know.
I decided to disregard the advice and write whatever I wanted.
What Does It Mean to Write What You Know?
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- What do book publicists expect to see in a book cover? http://ow.ly/IQf63
- Tutorial: Using Two-Color Overlays | Image Overlays | PicMonkey Blog http://ow.ly/IQfyb
- MFRW - Marketing for Romance Writers: Creating a Newsletter--The Body by Rochelle Weber, Publisher #MFRW Newsletter http://ow.ly/IS0pz
- What’s Influenced Your Writing? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/IS7yn
- Working With A Literary Agent: Who’s At The Wheel? | Thought Catalog http://ow.ly/ISW55
- 30 Tips For Writing a Book in 30 Days WritersDigest.com | WritersDigest.com http://ow.ly/ISWkV
- Writing Tips: Write What You Know | Writing Forward http://ow.ly/ISXrA
- What do names tell us about characters? - Venture Galleries http://ow.ly/IT0an
- Fiction University: Picture Book Plotting 101 http://ow.ly/IT0Uz
- How to Set Up a FREE WordPress Blog | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/ITdtk
- How to Be a Writer: Interview with Ann Handley http://ow.ly/ITeA8 "Everybody is a writer. Writing is a basic life skill..."
- 7 Barriers to Writing You Can Leap Over Today http://ow.ly/ITfDM
- Turn Yourself Into an Authorpreneur by Nina Amir — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/ITg5B
- Has Amazon Pulled Your Reviews? Here's What You Can Do - Marketing Tips For Authors http://ow.ly/ITgkJ
- How To Start A Blog When You Have Absolutely No Audience http://ow.ly/ITnPq
Writability: Character Development Lessons from Game of Thrones http://ow.ly/ITpa9
- Building Atmosphere! The "Queen of Comedy" Dishes the Dirt on Creating Mood for your Masterpiece http://ow.ly/ITplY
- Talking Self-Publishing, Doing Rewrites | Catherine, Caffeinated http://ow.ly/ITpWQ
- 6 Ways to Use Short Video for Social Marketing | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/ITrQ0
- The Top 20 Literary Quotes About Short Stories - Writers Write http://ow.ly/ITrY1
- Timothy Hallinan - Writer's Resources http://ow.ly/ITslE “A writer is someone who finishes.” -- Thomas Farber
- Ep 027: “Don’t Feel Bad About Marketing” | Book Marketing Tools Blog http://ow.ly/ITvws
- My Editing Compulsion | Indies Unlimited http://ow.ly/ITvMF