By: Yeah Write
Before we hop to the 5 tips, let’s learn some terminology with the help of our buddy John Green, and our favorite metaphor from Looking for Alaska:
“So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”
The best definition of a metaphor that I could come up with based on others I read was “a comparison that shows how two mostly dissimilar things are alike in a contextually important way”.
So though people are not drops of water who fall
from the sky, we learn that Miles feels “subdued” compared to Alaska, because
we know how drizzle relates to a hurricane.
Metaphors have two parts: a tenor and a vehicle. The tenor is the actual thing being described—in the above quote, people, Miles, and Alaska are tenors. The vehicle is what the tenors are being compared to: rain, drizzle, and a hurricane, respectively.
Okay! Now that we’ve got that down, let’s get this show on the road:
1. Don’t overuse them
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- 5 Tips for Creating Metaphors http://ow.ly/IBS4L “Metaphors have a way of holding the most truth in the least space."
- How to Overcome the Biggest Obstacle to Successful Authorship http://ow.ly/IBSwC "Change Your Attitude, Change Your Results"
Kidlit· A Little Help From Hamlet http://ow.ly/IBSQs "Don’t rush through the establishing parts of your plot..." Writability: How I Became a Morning Person http://ow.ly/IBTs6
- Punctuation Review #3: En Dashes http://ow.ly/IBTzB Daily Writing Tips
- Reading for Writers 101: Character Motivation » Writeonsisters.com http://ow.ly/IBUR8
- Writing a Heist: 5 Tips for Picking the Perfect Loot » Writeonsisters.com http://ow.ly/IBVch
- 7 Ways #SocialMedia is Like Driving a Car – via Social Media Mentor @EdieMelson http://bit.ly/14mVktU #writing
- Using Your Personality Type to Make You a Better Writer - Marcy Kennedy http://ow.ly/IBWFy
- How Often Should Indie Authors Publish? http://ow.ly/IBXco Success = (Target Audience Size) x Quality x Discoverability x Production
- 89+ Book Marketing Ideas That Will Change Your Life http://ow.ly/IBXTA "Fresh out of ideas on how to help your writing take off? ..."
to Create a Strong Emotional Response
inYour Readers | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/IBYJC
- How to Master (and Survive) a Career as a Solo Writer! http://ow.ly/IBZSc
- "There are many tools to help streamline your social media life..." WriterlandWriterland http://ow.ly/IC0lJ
- 2015 social media wish list http://ow.ly/IC1Pd "Be compassionate, share interesting information, and..."
- How To Get Influencers To Notice You http://ow.ly/IC2Ew "Going after them, however, can be tricky..."
- Kindle Pricing Strategies: How to Price Your eBook for Maximum Success http://ow.ly/IC2YQ
- Creating in Chaos: Making Art Amidst a Mess http://ow.ly/IC3GF
Writing Playlist - Books & Such Literary Management
:Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/IC3ra
- 3 Reasons to Bundle the Early Books in Your Series | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/IC3QK
- Persuasive Writing: The Key to a Stellar Writing Career http://ow.ly/IC4gZ
- Nonfiction Authors: How to Find Your Ideal Reader by Cathy Yardley — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/IC4tw
- How to outline a short story for beginners - Writers Write http://ow.ly/IC54m
- How to Place Turning Points on a Beat Sheet | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/IC5hL
- Southern Writers - Suite T: Keep It Professional http://ow.ly/IC5zO
- Take a page out of the Banshee Writers' book and learn how to Juxtapose - Author Zoo http://ow.ly/IC5ZY
- 5 Ways to Create a Winning Book Review Pitch - Marketing Tips For Authors http://ow.ly/IC78i
- Following The Crowd | The Passive Voice | A Lawyer's Thoughts on Authors, Self-Publishing and Traditional Publishing http://ow.ly/IC7im
- Setting writing goals? Make them SMART—and flexible! http://ow.ly/IC7LG
- Why Authors Walk Away From Big 5 Publishers http://ow.ly/ICimu
Fans of OUTLANDER and the KENTUCKIY WILDCATS might have a problem on April 4! But wouldn't it be a great problem to have? Love will force a person to choose...
Post a Comment