By: Marcy McKay
I recently visited with a new writer over coffee. She confessed, almost embarrassed, “I’ve written on and off for years. Well, sort of
…but, now I’m really
trying to get serious about my novel, except I keep quitting. It’s really
frustrating. How do you ummm,” she looked away, then back at me again, “How do
you fight writer’s block?”
That’s a great question, and the answer is…
You can’t fight it.
That’s the bad news.
The good news is you can still achieve success on the page. You can still write great stories.
Name and Claim Your Writer’s Block
When writer’s block is there, it’s there. It’s like an invisible force field of negativity surrounding your body. Novelist Steven Pressfield calls this internal self-sabotage Resistance.
You want to write, but Fear stops you. It lies and says you’re not good enough, so you hedge, unsure of your talents. Sometimes you can’t break through the anxiety. Other times, you can’t.
When writer’s block stops you in your tracks, don’t try to battle it or pretend it isn’t there.
That’s useless. It’s a waste of time and energy, not to mention make matters worse.
Instead, claim the Fear, lean into the discomfort, and learn to use it to regain your creative mojo.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Fiction University: Follow the Leader: Moving From Scene to Scene http://ow.ly/JFCF3
- Insecure Writer's Support Group: Thoughts on Being a Hybrid Writer by Elizabeth S. Craig http://ow.ly/JFCRk
- 5 Ways to Wander—First Draft Writing Advice | Psychology Today http://ow.ly/JFCWy
- One Of Your Crucial Characters Isn't Working. What Do You Do? http://ow.ly/JFCZM
- 21 Book Marketing Tips for Authors http://ow.ly/JFD34
- 7 Powerful Steps to Overcoming Resistance and Actually Getting Stuff Done - Yaseen Dadabhay's Blog http://ow.ly/JFDqW
- Top Tips on Translations | Advice for Authors Who Self-Publish http://ow.ly/JFDya
UniversalStory: As YourStory Evolves, You Evolve Too - Martha Alderson http://ow.ly/JFDEX
- 6 Tips to Create and Publish a Killer Article on LinkedIn http://ow.ly/JFDIK
- Web Sites - Six Ways to Uncover What's Confusing Your Website Visitors and Dragging Conversions Down http://ow.ly/JFDM4
Media GraphicSecrets Revealed - Peg Fitzpatrick http://ow.ly/JFDQ0
- 4 Ways to Use SlideShare for Lead Generation | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/JFDY3
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Critique Partner | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/JFE2B
15 FREE Internet Marketing Tools To Boost Your Online Business
You're Missing the Mark - Books & Such Literary Management
:Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/JFEa4
- How to Create Picture Ebooks for Kids | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/JFEdJ
- How to Fight Back if Your Content is Plagiarized http://ow.ly/JFEiF
- How to Crush It on Facebook with Videos and Your Smartphone http://ow.ly/JFEn5
- New Ebooks Selected by Amazon Users Up for Pre-Order | News & Opinion | PCMag.com http://ow.ly/JFHsQ
- Publishers bypass literary agents to discover bestseller talent | Books | The Guardian http://ow.ly/JGmwu
- Book Marketing Must Center (Mostly) on the Author http://ow.ly/JGmFz
…Love it or leave it? By Dora Hiers http://ow.ly/JGn3n
- Joanna Bourne: Technical Topics -- Scene Breaks, Chapter Breaks and Hiatuses http://ow.ly/JH8r0
- Boom! Publishing Like Beyoncé | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/JH9QZ
Writability: Nothing is Normal (in the Publishing Industry) http://ow.ly/JHz3k
- Increase Content Marketing Visibility With PR - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/JHz8s
- 3 Types Of Emails You Should Be Sending But Aren’t: The Social Scoop Issue 137 | MariSmith.com http://ow.ly/JHzbS
- A Weird Way to Beat Writer’s Block http://ow.ly/JHzfI
- Thoughts on Being a Hybrid Writer - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/JHzjL
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Critique Partner | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/JHzmO
Mythcreants» The Mechanics of Dystopian Settings http://ow.ly/JHzqn
- Fiction University: The Dark Side of Digital http://ow.ly/JHztJ
- Writer Unboxed » The Sundance Kid http://ow.ly/JHzwx
- Book Marketing Must Center (Mostly) on the Author http://ow.ly/JHzzy
- Scenes from The Rewrite: Part I | Catherine, Caffeinated http://ow.ly/JHzIl