By: Carly Watters
Agents talk a lot about query letter writing and how we manage the slush pile. There’s the flip side of that too: once we request your material what happens?
today, you get inside my brain. This is how I read requested material and how
you make yours stand out:
1. I read on my iPad
I don’t print manuscripts out until I sign them and start to work on them. So I’m trying to see if I enjoy the writing and pair the writing with a name or book title to distinguish one manuscript from the other.
Lesson: Formatting! For the love of
pete number your pages and title your file something like: Author
Last Name BOOK TITLE. I don’t want to play a guessing game about which
manuscript matches which query. The last thing I want is confusion when I’m
trying to organize my slush. I also ask for a synopsis pasted into the first
page of the manuscript document so that I can jog my memory and refer back to
2. I read 3-10 partials in a row
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Smashwords: 2015 Book Publishing Industry Predictions: Slow Growth Presents Challenges and Opportunities http://ow.ly/GDXbQ
- How I Read Slush: 3 Lessons for Writers | Carly Watters, Literary Agent http://ow.ly/GDZV2
- Fiction University: Will They or Won’t They? Plotting With Yes or No Questions http://ow.ly/GE08b
- 5 Tips for Running a Writers’ Circle | Beyond The Margins http://ow.ly/GE0oc
- Q: What Do Agents Like to See When They Google Writers? | Carly Watters, Literary Agent http://ow.ly/GE0z0
- Michael Crichton’s Method for Plotting Out a Story - WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS http://ow.ly/GE0TQ
- Eight Most Common Editing Errors In Self-Published Books | Self-Publishing Review http://ow.ly/GE13j
- 7 Strategies and 110 Tools to Help Indie Authors Find Readers and Reviewers http://ow.ly/GE2cM
- The Book Designer — Practical Advice to Help Self-Publishers Build Better Books http://ow.ly/GE2p7
- The 10 Commandments of Social Media Content Marketing http://ow.ly/GE2DB