Someone once said to me: The first few pages of a novel sell that novel, the ending of the novel sells the next novel.
I believe that.
Endings are important. If I like a book but hate the ending I probably won't read another book by the same author.
How does one create an exciting, satisfying, ending?
Yesterday, as I worked on the ending for my WIP, I wondered: Is this any good? Is it interesting? Exciting? How can I tell? What makes an ending good? Bad? Indifferent?
So I did what I usually do at times like
, I went to my digital library (also
known as the internet) and re-read Jim Butcher's essay, Story Climax.
It's an informative, easy, read. And it's funny. (Sometimes I think those is
like the spoonful of sugar that helps the medicine go down.) humour
Jim Butcher is a funny, brilliant and wildly successful author--a #1 New York Times bestseller--so I'm going to try and dip into his well of wisdom and talk about a few of his thoughts about what goes into creating an exciting, couldn't-stop-reading-if-you-wanted, ending.
What do readers want?
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Presence on the Page: What It Is, and What It Isn’t | LitReactor http://ow.ly/GFzI1
- 5 Ways to Create Conflict in Your Story | ScreenCraft http://ow.ly/GFzKQ
- Hidden Emotions: How To Tell Readers What Characters Don’t Want To Show - http://ow.ly/GFzOL
- Cheat Sheets for Writing Body Language - Writers Write http://ow.ly/GFzTl
- ‘Murder, She Read!’ Taking A Deep Dive Into Mystery With Nielsen | Thought Catalog http://ow.ly/GFzYB
- Facebook Promotional Ban Spells Trouble for Authors-2015 - Authorlink http://ow.ly/GFBr7
Mythcreants» Primetime Adventures Is Great for Dramatic Roleplaying http://ow.ly/GFBQR
- 35 Tactics To Improve Your 2015 Content Marketing - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/GFBWv
- The Indie Author’s Bookshelf: 19 Best Titles for Self-Editing by Corina Koch MacLeod and Carla Douglas — http://ow.ly/GFC79
instead of resolutions? | Marcie Brock,
Book Marketing Mavenhttp://ow.ly/GFCjC
- Writer Unboxed » Writer Resolutions http://ow.ly/GFCnE
- Novelists: A Risky Bet that Just Might Be a Sure Thing... For You - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/GFEeN
“Why Isn’t It Working?” |
- Yellow Card http://ow.ly/GFEVI Daily Writing Tips: "The symbolism of soccer’s colored penalty cards has spread to other endeavors."
- Karen Woodward: Jim Butcher On How To Write A Suspenseful Story Climax http://ow.ly/GFF8O
- How To Beat The Fear Of Self-Publishing | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/GFFDI