By: Darcy Pattison
Openings are incredibly important. This was brought back to me recently as I was judging a contest. Those manuscripts that kept my interest for three pages were rare. Usually, they lost me by the middle of page two!
Am I harsh? I don’t think so.
Noah Lukeman has it right in his book, The First Five Pages: A Writer’s Guide to Staying Out of the Rejection Pile. This is a book I ask those attending my Novel Revision retreats to read before they attend.
Lukeman’s premise is
that an editor will decide if they want your book or not based on the first
five pages of your manuscript. After judging this contest, I agree. Sometimes,
you can even make a judgment based on the first paragraph.
That first paragraph? You want to grab the reader by the throat and never let go!
Here are five things that made me stop reading:
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
Author Sites | Our specialty:
Websitesfor authors! http://ow.ly/HKBMO
- Build suspense with a ticking clock. - Venture Galleries http://ow.ly/HKFmC
- How publishers did everything wrong fighting Amazon over e-books - SFGate http://ow.ly/HKFvg
- Novel Rocket: 10 Social Media Rules for Authors in the New Year http://ow.ly/HKFAz
- Writing with Color — Is this a good way to point out that a character... http://ow.ly/HKFPH
ScifiAnd Fantasy Writers Ended Up Regretting http://ow.ly/HKFUq
- Be Realistic About Your Writing Resolutions - Five Top Tips for 2015 - Writers Write http://ow.ly/HKG0I
- What sort of ‘back matter’ should your book contain? #IndiePublishing #BookReviews #BookMarketing | deborahjay http://ow.ly/HKG42
- The Write One Blog – How To Self Publish On Kindle - The Write One Blog http://ow.ly/HKGbp
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Start a Blog Today - Finally Writing http://ow.ly/HKGfg
KCrossWriting – The Making of a Novel: Behind the Scenes with Antebellum Awakening http://ow.ly/HKGkv
dosand donts of adding more description http://ow.ly/HKH5p
- How to Promote Your Business With Instagram | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/HKHiF
- 2 enduring, low-cost book marketing tactics | @Belinda_Pollard http://ow.ly/HKKkX
- Simple Tricks To Get Book Reviews Fast | Self-Publishing Review http://ow.ly/HKKx9
- Premium WordPress Themes for Authors http://ow.ly/HKNdw
10 Key FactorsThat Will Determine the Future of Google+ - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/HKNkP
- On Art and Life | Dani Shapiro http://ow.ly/HKQXQ "Let’s move on to the what ifs. These are the biggies, of course."
- How to know when you're done writing your novel? http://ow.ly/HL2I3
- Openings: 5 Ways They Go Wrong http://ow.ly/HLgi4
- Scenes: The Skeleton of a Novel | Fiction Notes http://ow.ly/HLgDJ
Hey, thanks for the mention! *fist pump*
Post a Comment