By: Jeff Goins
In my near-decade of coaching writers, there has been one question I’ve been asked over and over again. In fact, this is something I often ask myself: What should I write about? The problem is that’s the wrong question.
When you get stuck thinking about what you should write about, your focus is
wrong place. You begin to fixate on things like subject and genre, even niche.
And all these are not essential to developing your calling as a writer.
The words you say are the paint on the house. The foundation is the belief behind them. Which is something most writers miss.
Where we must begin, if we want people to take us seriously, is not with what we say, but how we say it. As I’ve said before, people care more about the why than the what. In other words, your voice trumps your subject.
Of course, that’s not to say that you shouldn’t have a subject for your blog or book. You should. It just means that’s not enough. Good writers, the ones we remember long after they’re gone, are the ones who have developed a clear
articulate it in a definitive voice. And you should do the same.
So how do we do this? You can tackle this by asking yourself three important questions:
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Tone: Is your Romance Sensual or Intellectual? http://ow.ly/FxVK5
- Facebook for Authors: Getting Started Guide - Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/FycCJ
Write Conversation :Social Media Monday—How Facebook Changes for 2015 Could Affect Authors http://ow.ly/FyGjW
- Structure Advice for Wordsmiths: Why Good Writing Comes After Good Structure When Developing Your Book http://ow.ly/FyLhW
- The Ultimate in Networking - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/FyLq3
- Insecure Writer's Support Group: A Definition Of Author Platform http://ow.ly/FyLUh
- The ebook industry needs to make reading more social http://ow.ly/FyMKn
- Creating Your Production Plan for 2015 http://ow.ly/FyO6L
- The Book Designer — Practical Advice to Help Self-Publishers Build Better Books http://ow.ly/FyOoS
Mythcreants» Six Plot Excuses NoOne Wants to Hear http://ow.ly/FyPyH
- The Trick to Presales | Wise Ink's Blog for Indie Authors about Self-Publishing http://ow.ly/FyPP3
- 16 Types of Marketing Videos You Can Create http://ow.ly/FyRvX
- How to Never Worry About What to Write Again http://ow.ly/FyRCz
to Get Read: 8 Ways to Take
yourBlog From Existence to Greatness: @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/FyRLd
My friend K.C.
is releasing her children's book today. Check it out! Pottorf
Post a Comment