By: Janice Hardy, @JaniceHardy
When you think about it, writing is a pretty amazing thing. Ten writers can use the same ten words and create completely different sentences. They can use them to evoke a myriad of emotions from
to joyous , and bring a reader to
tears as well as laughter. terrified
What words we choose matter. A single edit can change how a reader interprets our work, and knowing that, we can put them in the right mindset for the story.
1. Be Suggestive
There have been a slew of movies, TV shows, and Vegas acts that have the hero--usually some type of con man--setting up a "mark" (the victim) to think or respond a certain way. They use subliminal clues to suggest what they want the mark to think or say. Drop enough clues with the numbers 3 and 6 in front of someone, then ask them to pick a number between ten and forty, and you'll get a lot of 36s.
This works in fiction.
If you want the reader to get an idea in their
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Fiction University: Three Tips for Creating Evocative Prose http://ow.ly/FMtsA
- The Christian Publishing Market With Jeremy Bouma | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/FMtKv
- Verb Mistakes #1: Didn’t With Conditional http://ow.ly/FMtSw
- Everything Is Your Resume: Tip #30 of 52 Ways to Market Your Book | Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/FMu7G
- Jen's Book Thoughts: I Wish We Could Stop Seeing... http://ow.ly/FMuRh Overused book blurb/review wording...
- Insecure Writer's Support Group: Pad Your Resume, and Wallets, by Writing for Small Markets by Sylvia Ney http://ow.ly/FMvHg
- Adverbs are their function, not their ending http://ow.ly/FMwFo
» Seven Tips for Receiving Feedback http://ow.ly/FMx0B Mythcreants
Let’s Meet Copyright’s Half Sister
Helen Sedwick — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/FMxe9 by
Valuable Marketing Tools for Self-Published Authors |
- Karen Woodward: Story Openings: Tags And Traits: Bringing Characters To Life http://ow.ly/FMF6l
- Fixing Typos in Your Uploaded Amazon E-Books | Hugh Howey http://ow.ly/FMGji
- 15 Tips for Aspiring Writers from 5 Successful Authors | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/FMGx8
- 2 enduring, low-cost book marketing tactics | @Belinda_Pollard http://ow.ly/FMGIQ
- Jane Friedman — Find out more about the writing life, getting... http://ow.ly/FMGWi Do you have writing talent?
- Free vs. Discounted: How BookBub’s Selection Rates Vary - BookBub Unbound http://ow.ly/FMH6D
- How to Sell More Books to the Right Target Audience http://ow.ly/FMHgZ
- Here's How to Get People to Care About What You Create http://ow.ly/FMHAz
You Need These 6 Tips and Tools http://ow.ly/FMLFW Then
- Writer Unboxed » The Things We Carry http://ow.ly/FMLLZ
- The Secret to Writing a Protagonist Who's Both Unique and Universal - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/FMLQh
- The Mystery of Mysteries: 11+ Elements in a Private Investigator Mystery - Writeonsisters.com http://ow.ly/FMM0L
- Russell Blake » The New Landscape http://ow.ly/FOuYt "My message is that the honeymoon’s over. Time to knuckle down..."
Post a Comment