By: K.M. Weiland
Did you know there’s only one (count it: one!) reason readers read?
This reason manifests in many different ways. One reader might call it a search for knowledge. Another might call it a desire to be swept away to unfamiliar worlds. Others might say they’re after adrenaline or maybe romance.
But what those reasons all boil down to is: curiosity.
Readers read because there’s something in a story that piques their curiosity. There’s something they don’t know about the characters, the setting, or the plot—and it’s driving them absolutely crazy!
In other words, the author has a secret.
And if that author is a smart cookie, he’s going to milk that secret for everything it’s worth.
The longer and greater the readers’ curiosity, the more un-put-down-able your story will be. So how can you make sure you’re planting and delivering the kind of secrets that will keep readers up into the wee hours of the morning?
In studying masterful classics, such as Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre (whose process and techniques I analyze in my book Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic,) I discovered four important steps to make sure your story’s secrets drive your readers wild.
Step #1: Plan the Secret. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Writers: How To Let Go Of The Pressure To Be Perfect - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/Flpp3
- 6 Questions to Sharpen Your Story Beats and Make Your Plot Sing http://ow.ly/FlpN3
- How to Build a Marketing Plan for Your Nonfiction Book http://ow.ly/FlpYo
- Why Most Writing Tips Are Useless (and How to Really Up Your Game) http://ow.ly/Flqar
- The Secret Of How to Make Your Book Un-Put-Down-able | Bestseller Labs http://ow.ly/Flqhr
- How to build a fictional world - Kate Messner | TED-Ed http://ow.ly/Flsyd
- Naming Your Novel ~ Laura Mizvaria http://ow.ly/FlsI9
- How to Make a Bestselling Book - The Atlantic http://ow.ly/FlsVb
- Writing Spies: Five Dos and Don’ts | Kristen Lamb's Blog http://ow.ly/Fltbm
- How Romeo and Juliet Can Help You Write Your Next Book by Helen Sedwick — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/Fltk8
- 8 Proven Strategies That'll Accelerate Your Audience's Trust Immediately http://ow.ly/FlviZ
- 5 Brilliant Things Writers Can Do to Overcome a Small Platform | Chad R. Allen http://ow.ly/Flvv0
- 14 Twitter Holiday Tips To Beat Your Competition - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/FlvCj
- Five Facts About Kindle Unlimited and How to Make This Program Work for You - Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/FlXu4
- How Music Affects the Writing Process - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/FlXPP
- Why Most Writing Tips Are Useless (and How to Really Up Your Game) http://ow.ly/FlXYg
- Worldbuilding: Creating Fictional Cultures - Author J.S. Morin http://ow.ly/FlYcJ
- A Writer’s Cheatsheet to Plot and Structure http://ow.ly/FlYp9
- Karen Woodward: Plot Wheels And The Tarot: Part 2 of 2 http://ow.ly/FlYZQ
- Creating Your Story World | Gideon's Screenwriting Tips: So Now You're a Screenwriter... http://ow.ly/FlZiq
- Are Multimedia Books a “Game Changer”? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/FlZPH
- The Best Blogging Advice I Ever Heard and Why It Failed Me http://ow.ly/Fm053
- How to Make Pinterest for Business Work for You (Part 2) http://ow.ly/FmopX
- Test: How Amazon’s algorithms really work – myth and reality | Die Self-Publisher-Bibel http://ow.ly/FnmGF
- Are Multimedia Books a “Game Changer”? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/Fnxyh
- Writer Unboxed » Deadline Craziness http://ow.ly/Fo91q
- Why Copyblogger Is Killing Its Facebook Page - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/Fo9a1
- You’ll Be Surprised to Learn the Source of Your Best Writing | The Copybot http://ow.ly/Fo9kO
- Project to Published: Facebook Hosting Styles and Examples | Emma Michaels http://ow.ly/Fo9vn
- Why You Shouldn't Feel Badly about Unsubscribes http://ow.ly/Fo9Q0
- What Makes an Amazing First Chapter? - Jeni Chappelle http://ow.ly/Foa7b
- ThrillWriting: Police Chief: Information for Writers with Chief Scott Silverii http://ow.ly/FoaOJ
Post a Comment