By: Ed Cyzewski
I get emails every week asking me to review, promote, or endorse someone’s book, and it’s an honor to know that someone thinks I’d be able to help them spread the word about their work. It’s also becoming extremely unsustainable for myself and most other bloggers I know to help everyone who asks. I wanted to offer some alternative ideas for authors and publicists in the thick of book promotion and some best practices for working with bloggers:
A Bit of Perspective on Blogging about Books
I’ve been blogging since 2005, and I remember how awesome it used to be when a publisher sent me books for free every once in a while. Sometimes I didn’t care for the books, but the lure of something new was still pretty exciting. However, more publishers and authors started to catch on, and now it’s just been a tidal wave of PDF’s from publicists and authors every month.
Based on the conversations I’ve had with fellow bloggers, most of us now dread getting asked to review books on our blogs. Most bloggers I know dread the drop in traffic from book review posts that eat up hours of time. One friend considered adding a page titled, “Will I Review Your Book?” and the body font had a single word: “NO.” So free books have gone from exciting perks for bloggers to a major time drain now that we receive so many. If you’re promoting a book, you need to keep this in mind: A FREE BOOK IS NO LONGER A TREAT.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Giacomo GiammatteoHow To Edit Books On An iPad - Giacomo Giammatteo http://ow.ly/F4W24
- The Write Conversation : Indie Tuesday—Crafting the Perfect First Line http://ow.ly/F4Xea
- Why Character Names Are the Secret Ingredient to Your Story http://ow.ly/F4XgS
- Murder by 4: A Simplistic Step-by-Step Guide on How to Prepare Your Ebook Novel for PRINT, by Aaron Lazar http://ow.ly/F4Xj5
- Pleaded vs. Pled http://ow.ly/F4YV8 Daily Writing Tips
- The Book Designer — Practical Advice to Help Self-Publishers Build Better Books http://ow.ly/F4ZT1
- Marketing | chrismcmullen http://ow.ly/F503d Book Marketing...Where to Begin
- Writer Unboxed » Becoming a Better Writer in 2015 http://ow.ly/F50d1
- Writing Scenes v. Narration: Know the Difference | Linda S. Clare http://ow.ly/F50k2
- The Best Reason to Blog — 2014 Edition | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/F50sS
- Want to Launch Your Book With a Bang? Then You Need This. | Your Writer Platform http://ow.ly/F50vX
- Publishing ... and Other Forms of Insanity: eBook Market Set to More Than Double to Top $16Bn By 2020 http://ow.ly/F50Y2
- 5 Writing Tips From Robert Pruneda - A Writer's Journey http://ow.ly/F518u
- How to Effectively Use Visual Content in Social Media Marketing - #infographic | Digital Information World http://ow.ly/F5caN
- Self Development. We All Need Mentors At Different Points In The Journey. | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/F5cdl
- How to Make Money With Your Blog: Your Own Products http://ow.ly/F5cg3
- 7 Tips to Help Writers Gain Attention in the World of Fiction | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/F5cmx
- How to Calculate the Value of Your Blog : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/F5crv
- 3 Tips for Writers Who Are NOT Their Own Worst Critic http://ow.ly/F5cuZ
- Finishing Your Novel: how to know when you're done writing your book - BookBaby Blog http://ow.ly/F5efB
- I Can’t Review/Endorse/Blog About Your Book, But This May Help | Ed Cyzewski :: Freelance Writer http://ow.ly/F5eJt