Every story comes down to just one thing. Know what it is? Conflict’s a good guess (“no conflict, no story” and all that), but before a story can offer conflict, it has to first offer something else: desire. In short, story is always going to be about a character’s goal.
In previous posts, we’ve talked about your character’s two conflicting goals, based on the Thing He Needs and the Thing He Wants. Between them, these two desires drive your entire story, pushing and pulling your protagonist and the people around him until they end up in a completely different place from that in which they began the story.
But here’s another question for you: Does it matter what your character wants?
Obviously, a character’s goal has to tie into the plot in a logical way. But there’s more. In order to resonate deeply with your very human audience, your character’s goal needs to be one of five specific things.
Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and Why It Matters to Authors
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- New Adult: A Genre is Born | Ingrid's Notes http://ow.ly/DnSp1
- How Vivid Verbs Transform Your Writing - Books & Such Literary Management : Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/DnWXr
- From Sarah, With Joy: 4 Great Lessons for Writers from Ron Swanson http://ow.ly/DnXJ6
- 6 Steps To Finding Your Writing Voice This Week | IttyBiz http://ow.ly/DnYTv
- The Millions : The Trouble with Writing http://ow.ly/DnZmj
- Fiction University: Social Media for Authors 101 http://ow.ly/DnZwy
- Variations of Villainy - SFWA http://ow.ly/DnZH8
- How to Use Google Analytics Behavior Reports to Optimize Your Content | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/Do068
- 3 Ways to Define What Your Blog Is About : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/Do0k3
- Author, Jody Hedlund: Planting Minor Characters With Purpose http://ow.ly/Do0tC
- How To Organize Your Non-fiction Book http://ow.ly/Do0LO
- How to Wow Your Audience with the Right Image http://ow.ly/Do0Ur
- How To Supercharge Your Writing - Use This Cinematic Technique | Write to Done http://ow.ly/Do1jr
- How to Make an SEO Friendly Video That Will Get You Noticed - Marketing Tips For Authors http://ow.ly/Do1uF
- The Ploughshares Round Down: Short Stories as a Path to Literary Success | Ploughshares http://ow.ly/Do1DK
- A Viral Recipe for Your Blog - The 4th Ingredient Will Blow Your Mind - Author Media http://ow.ly/Do1M0
- Why Your Character's Goal Needs to Be 1 of These 5 Things - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/Do1Ts
- How to Customize a Template-Based Author Website http://ow.ly/Do21l
- Ask Jami: Whose Point of View Should We Use? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/Do2uo
- BookDaily.com - Removing Naughty Scenes Does Not Make It YA http://ow.ly/DoysD
- Plugging In To Your Peeps: Author Platform Expansion - Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/DoyP3