By: MJ Bush
Inner conflict is essential.
Without inner conflict your protagonist never fully engages with the plot.
In effect, he can skate through the events of your story. He might get hit by a wave or two, but he never goes beyond the surface.
It doesn’t take on deeper meaning to him.
And that means it doesn’t take on deeper meaning for your readers.
Inner conflict and complex characters go hand-in-hand.
Complexity, the weaving together of a new soul, creates openings for inner conflict. Without complexity, inner turmoil has no purchase in that character.
Without that riptide of inner conflict, your character remains flat, no matter how many layers you add.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- How to Create a DIY Book Trailer — Guest: Angela Quarles | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/BhcYh
- Anoint Your Character with Inner Conflict, A Master Technique http://ow.ly/Bhema
- Writers On The Move: Your Main Character's Job Is to Fall to the Bottom of a Deep Pit of TROUBLE http://ow.ly/Bhebo
- 5 Stages of Grief When Bad Things Happen to Beloved Characters - BOOK RIOT http://ow.ly/BheGT
- 4 Tips for Writing About Unfamiliar Character Issues - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/BheMR
- The Kill Zone: Listening to Your Characters http://ow.ly/BheVU
- "Weird Al" Yankovic - Word Crimes: via @YouTube http://ow.ly/BhgU0
- Why Lies Create Interesting Characters | Gideon's Screenwriting Tips: So Now You're a Screenwriter... http://ow.ly/Bhiuj
- Succeed At Writing: Taming the Inner Critic http://ow.ly/BhiE7
- What Is a Developmental Editor? What Can You Expect? http://ow.ly/Bhomp
- ThrillWriting: "911, What is your Emergency?" - Emergency Communications Information for Writers http://ow.ly/BhoRO
- Author, Jody Hedlund: 3 Techniques to Keep in Mind When Setting the Stage http://ow.ly/Bhp1x
- How to Create Sharable Social Media Images: 3 Powerful Tools | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/Bhr7u
- Self-Publishers Looking for Book Design inspiration Can Find it in the History of Printing — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/BhrfX
- Writer Unboxed » Why Every 1st Novel Should Be a Ghost Story http://ow.ly/BilO2
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: Self-Published Author Backpack Of Resources http://ow.ly/Bim0z
- 34 Blogging Topics Just for Writers - Social Media Just for Writers http://ow.ly/BimCu
- Self-Hosting Your Author Website: Why and How to Do It | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/BiRpF
- To Follow—or Not to Follow—Your Heart as a Novelist? by Stacey Aaronson | Author Entrepreneurship Magazine http://ow.ly/BiXcy