By: Macie Colleen
“Show, don’t tell.”
We hear this all of the time. Yet, many writers struggle with this very idea.
Writers like to research. We travel to faraway places, we talk with people who live there. We look through old files and photographs. We mine our memories for tidbits and call upon our imagination to fill in the rest.
We stay cerebral.
But this is where we fail ourselves. This is where we fail our readers.
We all want to write books that make people feel, but in order to do that—we must feel first. We must cry. We must get angry. We must laugh. We must fall in love. We must face fear.
But to achieve true emotion with our words, we need to get out of our heads and tune into our guts.
To do this, I like to call upon the actor’s craft.
Here are 3 tips to get out of your writer’s head and write from the gut.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Three Acting Tips for Writing with Emotion by Marcie Colleen | Writing for Kids (While Raising Them) http://ow.ly/BsC6c
- Fiction University: 8 Marketing Don'ts: Get Real or Get Lost! http://ow.ly/BsCcV
- What is “Word of Mouth” in Today’s World? - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/BsCgH
- The 5 Most Common Writing Mistakes That Break Reader Immersion | Creativity Hacker http://ow.ly/BsCj8
- A Process-to-Product Success Story - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/BsDiD
- Fiction University: Moving Forward: Writing Smooth Transitions http://ow.ly/BsDz8
- Young People are Reading As much as Adults http://ow.ly/BsDAZ
- Is your dialogue just characters talking? http://ow.ly/BsDCk
- Janet Reid, Literary Agent: Question: 5 Key Things to know about personalizing your query http://ow.ly/BsDOH
- Four story openings that put people off and how to avoid them http://ow.ly/BsDTr
- Twitter Buy Button: This Week in Social Media | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/BtnpM
- Writer Unboxed » Everything You Need to Know About the @Reply http://ow.ly/Btnr8
- Beyond Paper Editing: 8 Proofreading Tools for Beta Readers http://ow.ly/BsDXH
- A Clever Twist on Video and Book Club Promo from Author Neil Gaiman - Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/BsSVa
- 18 New New York Times Bestseller Lists | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/BtnuL
- Better Know a Genre: Mystery - Jeni Chappelle http://ow.ly/Btny7
- ThrillWriting: Want to Try Something Knotty? Five Helpful Knots to Save Your Heroine's Life http://ow.ly/BtnBz
- General to Specific: From One Sentence to a Plot http://ow.ly/BtpRN
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: The Newsroom Is Run By Publicists http://ow.ly/BtpSw