By: Mia Botha
. . .
Making Characters Real
Often when we create characters we make them too perfect, so they come across as one dimensional. We don’t give them flaws. We want them all to be James Bond. I really like James Bond, by the way, but there can be only one.
Characters become real when they struggle with the same issues we do. A gimpy knee, a few too many drinks, hidden desires and ambitions. No one is all good or all bad. We all succumb to jealousy, lust, ambition and we all need a pee break. Your character should too.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- How to make your characters shockingly real - Writers Write http://ow.ly/Am7A2
- 10 Writing Tips from J.R.R. Tolkien | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/Am8as
- Fiction University: Unrequited Writing Love: When You Can't Write What You Love to Read http://ow.ly/Am8df
- The Goldilocks Approach To Writing Description: Not Too Little, Not Too Much - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/Am8v8
- 7 Sales Copy Tactics You Can Steal from Seth Godin http://ow.ly/AmbdZ
- On Daydreaming: A Writer’s Perspective – Kobo Writing Life http://ow.ly/AmboD
- 8 Signs It's Time to Scrap Your Writing Project | LitReactor http://ow.ly/AnmQK
- 5 Tips on Writing Authentic Dialogue http://ow.ly/AnmWH
- I Liked Everything I Saw on Facebook for Two Days. Here’s What It Did to Me | Gadget Lab | WIRED http://ow.ly/AnnQ3
- What Does It Mean to Protect Authors' Interests? [Smart Set] - Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/AnnTQ
- 5 Reasons You Procrastinate On Getting Your Book Done http://ow.ly/AnKCF
- Genetics Myths in Fiction Writing - Dan Koboldt http://ow.ly/AnKFl
- Writer Unboxed » You Are So On (Because They Are, Too) http://ow.ly/AnKGO
- Useful Advice on Writing About Real Places | Self-Publishing Advice http://ow.ly/AnKJI
- Are Facebook “Promoted Posts” Ever Worth It for Authors? | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/AnKL7
- 7 Best Practice Tips For Successfully Working Remotely | Fast Company | Business + Innovation http://ow.ly/AnKNf
- Writing Non Fiction As A Side Hustle With Nick Loper. Podcast Episode 192. | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/AnKPj
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: Sell Your Book In These 5 Cities! http://ow.ly/AnKRy
- Do You Need a Distributor for Your Books? - Training Authors for Success http://ow.ly/AnKTp
- From the Write Angle: Plotting Without Explosions http://ow.ly/AnKUL
- How to Add "Click to Tweet" to Your Blog Posts | Author Media http://ow.ly/AnKWC
- 8 Reasons to Traditonally Publish Your Book http://ow.ly/AnKXK
- 4 Reasons to Choose to Self-Publish Your Book http://ow.ly/AnKZ4
Post a Comment