By: AJ Humpage
This is a subject I get asked about all the time, especially from new writers anxious to write as much as possible in as many genres as possible, yet while many writers can and do write in different genres, and it’s not impossible, to step with ease from one kind to another isn’t as easy as it seems.
It’s a well known fact that writers start out writing in the genre that they most enjoy reading, and certainly their earliest influences may drive this tendency. If you enjoy reading thrillers, it’s most likely you’ll write in that genre, because you enjoy it and understand it. If you enjoy reading romance fiction, then the likelihood is that you’ll feel comfortable writing romance.
Of course, there are other things that influence writers. Watching certain genre of movies or TV shows that they enjoy may also influence a writer.
A writer will always write in the genre they feel most affinity with, one that they feel comfortable working with; the one they enjoy. And because of this ease and affinity, an author’s voice and style will evolve accordingly.
Does it Work?
It can, but sometimes it doesn’t.
There are many cross genre writers out there . . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- One Weird Trick For Cutting Down Your Novel http://ow.ly/yPYzN
- 11 Questions for Crafting a Fiction Pitch - Books & Such Literary Management : Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/yPYKv
- A Journey through Theme Development | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/yPYJA
- How to Create Your Own Infographic | Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/yPYTd
- How to Get Back to Writing After a Death in the Family | Men with Pens http://ow.ly/yPYX6
- 7 Item To-Do List for Amazon Author Central Profile | How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks http://ow.ly/yPYZZ
- Why Getting Together with Other Writers Is Important | Busy Writing http://ow.ly/yPZ5i
- The irresistible rise of the short story - Telegraph http://ow.ly/yPZ9l
- Fiction University: How Soon Do We Need to Show Genre in Our Novels? http://ow.ly/yT008
- All Write - Fiction Advice: Does multi-genre writing really work? http://ow.ly/yT08O
- How to Schedule and Edit Facebook Posts Using Facebook | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/yT0ci
- Use Images (Not Just Words) to Turn Your Distracted Visitors into Engaged Readers - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/yT0fn
- One-Percent Authors Want To End Destructive Conflict, Bring Order to the Galaxy | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/yT0jO
- Ten Tips to Beat Writer's Block | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/yT0rM
- Keep Your Author Website Simple | Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/yT0wS
- The Effectiveness of Free eBooks is Declining: Smashwords - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/yT0Rb