By: Charlotte Rains Dixon
This is the blog post on viewpoint I promised in my last post, wherein I talked about how I judged a writing contest and nearly all the entries had problems with sketchy world building and viewpoint.
Getting viewpoint wrong sinks your manuscript from the get-go. Send an agent a story rife with viewpoint violations and kiss any chance of representation goodbye. Viewpoint slips look amateurish and annoy the reader, who may not know exactly why they are annoyed, just that they are.
And you do not want to annoy the reader.
I am the Chief of the Viewpoint Violation Police, much to the chagrin of my bi-weekly writing group that meets here in town. You got a viewpoint lapse, even a subtle one, and I'll find it. And
I also have a simple way to master it. Here goes:
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Fiction University: Having Trouble Plotting Forward? Try Plotting Backward http://ow.ly/yYHMn
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Viewpoint But Were too Confused to Ask - Charlotte Rains Dixon http://ow.ly/yYHPA
- 9 Self-Publishing Fiction Writers You Should Follow Today by Jason Kong — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/yYI0v
- Top Ten Things I’ve Learned As An Indie Author | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/yYI6Q
- What Does It Take to Become a Full-Time Indie Author? | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/yYIbK
- What I learned while reading for an agent. | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/yYImu
- Why Should You Spend Money on Facebook Advertising? - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/yYIuE
- Southern Writers - Suite T: Formation of Character and Plot http://ow.ly/yYIxY
- Three Questions to Prepare Your Perfect Author Message | Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/yYIBR
- The Art of Creating Perfect Headline - infographic | Digital Information World http://ow.ly/yYJ1R
- Here's why you shouldn't underestimate the power of setting http://ow.ly/yYJlm
- Divas on Writing: Issues with the First Person Perspective - Write Divas http://ow.ly/yYJsB
- Adobe Flash updated to plug yet another huge security hole http://ow.ly/yYJx8
- The Writers Alley: You Want Me to Use Linkedin? Seriously? http://ow.ly/yYIPn