By: Amy McElroy
Agents, editors, publishers, and mainstream readers tell writers to engage readers by the first line of the work. Then, to maintain each reader’s attention, the writer must never let up until the final word. One essential part of that job is to choose the correct point of view for the story—the perspective from whom the story is being told—and to maintain that point of view to keep the reader’s attention focused on the story, the characters, and the setting.
While point of view is an essential element of the story, done correctly, the reader should never even be aware of the concept within the work. The point of view should be so effortlessly clear
that the reader should never even think to question it.
Examine the basics of each point of view and its effects on the reader to select the best one for your story.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Fiction University: Real Life Diagnostics: Starting With a Dream: Yay or Nay? http://ow.ly/zm3Y1
- Pricing Strategies for Ebooks in a Series | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/zm3YC
- Dive In for Thrills: Location, Location—Where To Set Your Story http://ow.ly/zm3ZE
- Choosing and Staying True to A Point of View | Amy J. McElroy - Writer | Editor http://ow.ly/zm40B
- How to switch point of view without confusing the reader | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/zm42f
- The 12 Most Important Twitter Hashtags for Promoting Your Book | readers+writers journal http://ow.ly/zm43e
- The Ultimate Hashtag List for Writers | readers+writers journal http://ow.ly/zm44S
- Be Honest: 5 Self-Editing Tips For Increased Objectivity - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/zm468
- What is Flash Fiction & Why Write It? | Self-Publishing Advice http://ow.ly/zm46T
- Writers: Get The Right Kind Of Feedback! | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/zm48o
- Martha Alderson aka Plot Whisperer: How to Turn a Lackluster Middle into Page-turning Excitement http://ow.ly/zm49g
- Ten Social Networking Mistakes to Avoid When Marketing Your Business http://ow.ly/zm4am
- Search Engine Marketing - How Search Marketers Use Twitter: Top Content Sources, Most Retweeted Handles : http://ow.ly/zm4cL
- 5 Key Elements for a Successful Women’s Blog : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/zm4eA
- Amazon Announces a New Program: Kindle Unlimited | Book Marketing Bestsellers | Book Marketing Bestsellers http://ow.ly/zm4fn
- 7 (Bad) Habits of Highly Successful Authors - Books & Such Literary Management : Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/zm4gr
- 20 Awesome Productivity Tricks Anyone Can Use | Inc.com http://ow.ly/zm4lD
- | Interviewing Authors with Tim Knox, Author, Talk Radio Host, Serial Entrepreneur, Small Business Expert http://ow.ly/zm4mD
- 30 Famous Authors On Writing in Plain Language - Writers Write http://ow.ly/zm4rY
- Write Your First Novel: 8 Strategies for Creating Great Fiction http://ow.ly/zm4td
- Twitter Releases Organic Tweet Analytics: This Week in Social Media | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/zm4uh