By: Sharla Rae, @SharlaWrites
If poets are to be believed, eyes are the windows to the soul.
Rather than using clichéd or common descriptions, why not use “explicit” eye descriptions to give your reader a real peek into a character’s psyche?
I’ll touch on eye color, movement, and appearance and, of course, I have some helpful lists to inspire ideas.
It’s a given that writers mention eye color as a character feature. Color can be mentioned every so often to remind readers what the character looks like. But! Don’t hit them over the head with it.
Besides using eye color as a facial feature it can sometimes be used to identify who is speaking especially if the color distinctive.
Blue eyes widened and she threw up both hands. “Now hold on a minute.”
Her amber cat eyes narrowed. “xxxx”
A character might have plain old blue or brown eyes and that’s fine. But why not use color terms that say something about the character or what they’re thinking?
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Developing Thematic Ideas in Your Fiction | Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/x2YdS
- Fiction University: Do or Do Not. There is No Try: Clarifying What Your Characters Do http://ow.ly/x2Yhe
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: The New Golden Age of Short Fiction: 12 Reasons to Write a Short Story This Month http://ow.ly/x2Ylg
- An easy way to make your plot plausible – control your novel’s timeline | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/x2Ypd
- Organization And Creativity: How To Free Up Brain Space And Be A Better Writer - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/x2YtQ
- You Don't Need a Tragic Flaw, Just the Wrong Woman | Indies Unlimited http://ow.ly/x2Yx2
- Common Mistakes Writers Make by Editor Claudette Cruz | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/x2YGH
- 10 Ways to Get More Twitter Followers - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/x2YLL
- Email Marketing - Four Email Marketing Tips to Help You Get the Most Out of Gmail : MarketingProfs Article http://ow.ly/x2YQy
- How To Get Your Guest Post Published http://ow.ly/x2Z7O
- Optimize Blog Content for Social Media with These 4 Effective Tactics : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/x2Za8
- Best practices | Twitter for Business http://ow.ly/x2Znw Create Tweets that resonate.
- The Best Length for Online Content http://ow.ly/x2ZAe The ideal length for everything on the Internet
- If You Don't Write That Book, Who Will? Deciding What to Write - http://ow.ly/x2ZKv
- The Write Conversation : Social Media Monday—How to use Hyperlinks Effectively on Your Blog http://ow.ly/x2ZUU
- Are You Sacrificing Future Trust for Sales Today? - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/x30Yh
- 6 Tips to Improve Your Facebook Page | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/x316w
- Will the Agency Model Survive? | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/x31sR
- The Indie Author’s Guide to Creating a Killer Media Kit — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/x31AV
- Character Eye Descriptions: The Window to Your Story | Writers In The Storm Blog http://ow.ly/x322M
- Eye Color Meaning | Free People Blog http://ow.ly/x37w5
- Metal vs. Mettle http://ow.ly/x39Xi Daily Writing Tips
- Nine Billion Reasons You Need to Opt-in to This Webinar - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/x39PR @Storyfix