By: Victoria Grefer
One thing I think all writers struggle with is the impulse to stop in the middle of writing a draft, chapter, or scene, in order to reread and to edit some portion of the material. This is definitely something I discuss in my writer’s handbook, “Writing for You,” but as I work on preparing second editions of my Herezoth trilogy, I have been doing some heavy editing, and I feel inclined to write about this topic here on the blog.
Now, we will all (to some extent) fix things, change things, correct things, and “edit” while we write a first draft. It is just human nature, and the impulse can be healthy and productive: when kept in check. That is the key.
Here are five reasons it can help you not to stop to edit while you’re composing a first draft.
1. THE IMPULSE TO EDIT IS HARD TO KEEP AT BAY.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- 4 Reasons Authors Shouldn't Edit While they Write http://t.co/hNyCPyYM6O via @vgrefer
- A Short, Questionnaire-free Case Study: The Awaiting Epiphany When Craft Suddenly Clarifies… - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/wu24W
- "Zero-Based Thinking" for Writers | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/wu6h0
- Read This Before You Sell Sell Sell Books on Twitter http://ow.ly/wu78d
- WriteIntoPrint: Self Editing 4 Fiction ~ #2 Show AND Tell http://ow.ly/wu7yT
- 10 Things Emerging Writers Need To Learn | TMR Blog http://ow.ly/wu7K5
- 7 Signs of a Vanity Publisher | E-BookBuilders http://ow.ly/wu7Ws
- Confessions of a Story Plotter by Jennifer Slattery | Writing Prompts &Thoughts & Ideas...Oh My! http://ow.ly/wu8de
- Audiobooks: Tips For Distribution With ACX And Marketing Audiobooks | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/wu8ja
- ThrillWriting: Duct Tape 101 for Writers http://ow.ly/wu8zL
- 3 Trends Among Ebook Readers: http://ow.ly/wjdsd @DigiBookWorld
- Writing For Your Audience | Terry's Place http://ow.ly/wu91t
- Five Ways to Describe Emotions Without Making Your Character Feel Too Self Aware | Romance University http://ow.ly/wubud
- Compound Plurals http://ow.ly/wud5J Daily Writing Tips
- Writers On The Move: Three Reasons Why DRM is Your Enemy http://ow.ly/wvNdP
- QueryTracker Blog: Authors' New Amazon Headache http://ow.ly/wvPjr