By: The Fictorians
We’re talking a lot about character this month, as well we should. Great characters are critical components for great stories. We need to understand our characters, their relationships, and then we need to reveal the truth about our characters with a deft hand, weaving in back story and inner demons.
It can prove a daunting process, and sometimes it’s hard to know how to approach working with our characters to maximize their effectiveness. At times, it’s like looking at a hidden 3d image, like the one at the top of this article. Can you see the hidden image? It takes effort and practice to train your eye to see what’s right there.
Same with building great characters.
There are lots of opinions and articles and books on the subject, including this month’s Fictorians posts. One resource I highly recommend is Orson Scott Card’s book Characters &Viewpoint.
Another, which I found extremely helpful, is Larry Brooks’ Three Dimensions of Character. This is available as a standalone ebook, but is also incorporated in Larry’s best-selling book Story Engineering.
The brilliance of this approach is that it explains complex character building in a direct, understandable way that makes it accessible to every writer. Larry provides a toolbox to assist authors in crafting great characters, and knowing what is required to do so. He teaches, in essence, how to see the hidden image by removing some of the vague, mysterious elements from the process, which I found refreshing and extremely helpful.
I won’t explain the entire system. This short article won’t do it justice, but I will review the core concepts to illustrate the power of it.
Characters have three distinct dimensions that authors need to understand and define, and which they can then apply for greatest effect.
Dimension1: Personality . . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- How Can We Show a Character’s Internal Journey? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/xkZqs
- Author, Jody Hedlund: 4 Ways to Hook Your Readers & Keep Them Wanting More http://ow.ly/xkZxA
- How to Increase Your Instagram Visibility: 5 Tips | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/xkZDb
- The Effects of the Amazon-Hachette Negotiations | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/xkZHs
- Looking to Outsource Your Design Needs? You Need to Read This : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/xkZS3
- SlideShare: 8 Ways a Digital Media Platform is More Powerful than "Marketing" - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/xkZWw
- Are Your Readers Trying to Tell You Something? How to Use Reader Feedback to Improve Your Writing http://ow.ly/xkZZN
- Writer Unboxed » Recovering the Joy In Writing http://ow.ly/xl05O
- The Quest For Great Content - infographic ~ Digital Information World http://ow.ly/xl0cX
- Author Entrepreneur. Why Being An Indie Author Is A Great Business Model. | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/xl0J8
- 71 Ways to Promote and Market Your Book | Your Writer Platform http://ow.ly/xl0Om
- 6 Ways to Survive Bad Reviews | Catherine, Caffeinated http://ow.ly/xl1aF
- Make Your Character Reactions Twice as Interesting - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/xl1r6
- Content Traffic Research-Does Anyone Read Your Marketing? - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/xl1yg
- More Ways to Cut Down on Self Publishing Costs » Book Promotion . com http://ow.ly/xl1L7
- Jennifer Represents...: The Straight Dope on PM http://ow.ly/xl1PW
- Writability: Plot Essentials: The Darkest Hour http://ow.ly/xl1X3
- 3 Dimensions of Character – A Review of Larry Brooks’ Character Development Technique - The Fictorians http://ow.ly/xl2ko
- Literary vs. Genre Fiction – What’s All the Fuss About? - The Fictorians http://ow.ly/xl48n
- Self-Publishing Secrets: 5 Free Amazon Services That Will Help You Sell More Books http://ow.ly/xl4lp
- Things to Think about Besides your Manuscript http://ow.ly/xlv8m
- Irregular Past Participle Forms http://ow.ly/xlvep Daily Writing Tips
- Karen Cioffi Writing and Marketing: Writing for Success http://ow.ly/xlvnY
- How To: Cover Reveals http://ow.ly/xly7c "...how covers work on Goodreads, as well as a few ‘How Twitter helped me sell hundreds of thousands of books’ | The Real Writers' Guide http://ow.ly/xlzMG promotional ideas..."
- The 6 Myths Of Social Sharing [INFOGRAPHIC] - AllTwitter http://ow.ly/xmM1C
Post a Comment