By: Larry Brooks @storyfix
Coaching the writing voice — the narrative tone and style and essences that become the telling of the story in sentences and paragraphs and scenes and chapters — is the toughest realm of “talent” to access. And for many, to improve upon.
Thing is, sometimes it’s that very thing – your voice – that is standing in your way.
It’s like coaching a singer to carry a better tune.
Writing voice is an ear thing, a sensibility. It is something that comes naturally, and from there is honed and tuned in context to the evolution not only of what you need to get onto the page, but what you are drawn to as a reader, as well.
What may seem like your natural “voice” may not be your ticket, after all.
The ultimate goal of working on your voice is, like the singer, a more appropriate tone and style and musicality for the performance. The singer has to get it at some point, no matter what the teaching tries to convey.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- What Do Writers Have in Common? | K. Ford K. http://ow.ly/xnRuF @kfordk
- The book versus the film – a tip to help writers fix an incoherent and sprawling plot | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/xnYjk
- How to Create an Infographic in an Hour or Less [5 Free PPT Templates] http://ow.ly/xo7Oc
- Create Your Own Newsletter With Paper.li | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/xo7Ub
- 21 Steps to Create an Awesome LinkedIn Profile - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/xo8r9
- Content - How to Tell a Visual Story (Even You, B2B): A Marketer's Guide : MarketingProfs Article http://ow.ly/xo8xK
- Social Media - Are You Wasting Your Time on Twitter? Four Ways to Make It Count : MarketingProfs Article http://ow.ly/xo8Dc
- Best Bookstores In The World 2014 - Business Insider http://ow.ly/xo8Ku
- How to Create the Perfect Social Media Post http://ow.ly/xo8Vv
- 18 LinkedIn Best Practices for Writers - Social Media Just for Writers http://ow.ly/xo9dF
- 3 Types Of Messages To Ignore On Social Media http://ow.ly/xo9lA
- Karen Woodward: Writing Enthusiasm: 5 Ways To Coax It Back http://ow.ly/xo9qN
- In Which I Invent Numbers | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/xoasl
- How to Plug the Holes in Your Content Funnel That Are Costing You Money - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/xoazs
- Looking to Outsource Your Design Needs? You Need to Read This : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/xoaGy
- Writer Unboxed » When We’re Forced to Work Outside Our Own Writing Boxes http://ow.ly/xoaLE
- A Tip -- and a Short Case Study -- for Writing "Voice" Authenticity - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/xojAj @storyfix
- Blah, Blah, Blah http://ow.ly/xojJQ Daily Writing Tips
- What Does Innovation Look Like for Literary Publishing? http://ow.ly/xojPV
- The Value of “Crap” Jobs | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/xpgfG
- A Day In The Life Of The Internet [INFOGRAPHIC] - AllTwitter http://ow.ly/xprle